My RAW vs LPR phenomenon

mic

Hi guys, first post:) This seems a great resource to have stumbled upon!

I'm seeking some insight into my Fuji Xerox 2270 multi function device.

Printing a particular .ppt file (2 mb file which blows out to about 380mb once spooled) takes well over 7 minutes to print.

What's interesting is by configuring the port in printer properties to RAW 9100 rather than LPR the print time drastically reduces and only takes about 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

A surprisingly different figure to me as I was always under the impression there is not any difference in print speed between the two protocols.

I've managed to replicate the benefits of the RAW port on a different machine (a much bigger 7780) although it seemingly doesn't make a great deal of difference on our 5575. This has got me stumped and would love to hear some expert thoughts here.

What's also interesting is the difference in output behaviour. LPR the device prints a few pages, has a think, then prints some more. On RAW the job seems to land on the devices plate much earlier, and then the device starts printing it out at maximum page output rate.

Absolutely scratching my head to understand this, please chime in!

Cheers
Mike

Ask a Question