Need a printer for tractor-fed fanfold labels

I need to fix a problem, or failing that, find a printer that will print on tractor-fed fanfold label stationery and work with Windows 7 64-bit.

We are currently replacing an old Windows XP PC with a Windows 7 64-bit PC.
The Windows 7 PC has been tested with the software we need to run on it, including a bespoke application that was written years ago, and it all works with one exception - printing labels.

We started out many years ago with a Seikosha dot matrix printer that emulated an Epson LQ-1000. That printer was replaced a few years ago by an Epson LQ-300+ and the system continued to work fine with the LQ-1000 driver (if it aint't broke, don't fix it!).

Now we are trying to move it all to the Windows 7 machine. On connecting the Epson LQ-300+, Windows recognised the printer and installed the LQ-300+ driver that is built into Windows 7. Now when we try to print on the 2 inch high labels it does not line up. The vertical feed between labels is not taking place so the next label's text prints directly under the text of the previous label. Added to which, the printer performs an unwanted form feed at the end.

I have tried installing several other Epson printer drivers without improving the situation. Since we are only printing plain text and not using any clever features of the printer we should be able to get away with using the "wrong" printer driver as long as it does the basic stuff right.

Inspection of the setup of the Windows XP machine shows that the paper size is set to "Custom" in the printer preferences.
The LQ-300+ driver in Windows 7 does not have a "Custom" paper size, instead it allows you to set up multiple user-defined paper sizes. I have tried doing so, but it does not appear to make any difference.

So what I need help with is one of the following:-

1. How to configure the Epson LP-300+ driver to print onto 2 inch high labels, or
2. How to find another driver that will do what we need and will run under Windows 7 64-bit, or
3. How to source a printer that will run with Windows 7 64-bit and do what we want.

Ask a Question