Oki C3400 Status Monitor error

I inherited an Oki C3400 laser printer from my parents. The error light was blinking once a second and my dad didn't want to try to figure out what was wrong so he gave it to me to see if I could fix it. I discovered that this issue was the cause and got the error message to go away on the printer. However, I'm still having problems with the Status Monitor and I still can't print to the printer from my computer.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium and the printer is connected via USB. I installed the C34GDIV8EA.exe driver for C3400n which was the only one I could find. I also installed the STMON123MA.exe Status Monitor utility installed in compatibility for Windows XP (Windows' recommendation).

When I run the Status Monitor, it displays a printer on a flashing red/yellow background with the text "printer connection error" and says: "Power cord and/or printer cable may not be correctly connected, or the printer may be turned off." I can verify that it is set up correctly and turned on. I shut down the System Monitor and retried it, but it still isn't working. When I try to print to the printer, the pending documents window shows an immediate "Error - Printing" error.

FWIF, the printer is set to LPT1: Printer Port, and I ran Windows Update (Windows was up to date).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think it's just a communication issue, but I'm not sure what to do to resolve it.

Thanks!

Renée

After much trial and error, I think I have figured it out. I had to uninstall the Status Monitor utility, then reinstall both the Status Monitor and the driver in compatibility mode for Vista, Service Pack 2. Now it seems to be working fine. I can print from my printer and the System Utility opens and shows me info I would expect it to (toner life, etc.). I hope this might help someone who has the same problem.

Renée

Ask a Question