Poor quality print colour

Hi, I am new here and am not overly experienced with printer issues!

I have a Ricoh Aficio SG 3110sg sublimation ink printer which I have used quite successfully to produce transfers for printing on tee shirts. That, however, was more than 2 years ago! I have recently started printing again and find that the colours on the printed sheet are less vibrant than they should be, even though I have run the print-head cleaning routine 3 times. I have run several print jobs through the printer and there has been no improvement. The ink, I have been using, is an after-market type used in conjunction with re-fillable tanks (the brand on the ink bottles is 'Refill Solution'). I am wondering whether the ink may have lost its intensity through sitting around for 2 years-or-more and whether I should empty the tanks and refill with fresh ink. I would also like to know whether there is a cleaning fluid I could run through the print-heads, via the ink tanks, before doing this. Your advice, please, folks!

Thanks, in anticipation

Clive

Does that printe rhave a nozzle test page? Can you print that and take a photo and post it here?

Hi. I printed the test page but when I attempted to upload an image of it here, I was informed the file-size was too large! Anyway the test-print shows 4 'ladder-type' panels of each colour in the order of cyan, black, yellow & magenta. The colours are all quite muted in intensity. Incidentally the ink-level indicator (on the front panel) shows that the black ink tank is low, even though I filled it.

PS. Regarding the test-print. Numbers are printed at the top of each 'colour ladder' in the following order Cyan 1, Black 1, Yellow 2 and Magenta 2

I was informed the file-size was too large!
If you want to email it to me, I'll resample the image and post it here. Click on my avatar and then look at the about - I'm sure you can figure out my email address. :)

It's hard to diagnose what you're seeing without seeing something myself.

If it's been sitting for that long, you may have to go through quite a few more cleaning cycles. If the print head isn't clogged and you're still having the issue, you may need to bleed the lines, empty cartridges and try some new ink.

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the email. I have taken the liberty of scaling the image a little smaller and attaching it here. That way it's useful to everyone on the forum.

This print test was actually very useful. What the ladder is showing is each individual print head nozzle. The 1 and 2 are, I suspect the print head. Looks like Cyan and Black are on head #1, and Yellow and Magenta on head #2. Low intensity on your colours could have been clogged jets. It looks like all the jets are clear, which is good news.

RicohJetTest.jpg

So don't run any more print head cleaning routines. Your heads are fine. I wouldn't go so far yet as to try and clean out your inks. Your black and yellow both look more or less as I'd expect. Your cyan does look dark. I am wondering if some black ink mixed in and contaminated the head.

When a print head parks, ink jet printers put the print head on a sort of rubber cup that is intended to make a seal and keep it from drying. Over time, and is has been two years, some ink can flow out into that cup and mix. This doesn't appear to have happened on your #2 head, since any magenta in the yellow would be clearly evident. But your #1 head may have had some cross contamination - it's actually hard to tell from the photo, but the cyan looks dark. That could also just be the fact you are using dye sublimation ink, and it doesn't necessarily look great until after it's been heat transferred. If there is cross contamination you can try and flow it out by printing pages set up with large blocks of cyan and black.

When you do a heat transfer, what does it look like?

Thanks for your observations, Va1der.

Regarding printing via heat transfer; this is a fair point! I haven't tried that yet as I was thinking it was not worth doing till I had achieved better colour intensity.

I'll give it a go and let you know the outcome.

Va1der, I have now, as you suggested, carried out a test print on fabric. I find that, once the ink has been transferred from the sheet, the colour vibrancy on the garment is much better and, although not quite comparable with the original artwork, it is acceptable for purpose.

Many Thanks for your help!

If you are expecting a delivery to your house in good color print, you should consider hiring a color printer. Color printers are often well-maintained and have more staff members than regular printers. Although regular printers can be taken care of by hiring a color printer, it's important to keep the printer healthy and experienced so that they can provide high-quality content without any problems.
Sometimes, cleaning tools, creams and other cleaning supplies, and even pet hair may contain chemicals that may damage the printer. Once the printer is fixed, it is important to contact the printer company to get a warranty.

I have a Ricoh Aficio SG 3110sg sublimation ink printer which I have used quite successfully to produce transfers for printing on tee shirts. That, however, was more than 2 years ago! I have recently started printing again and find that the colours on the printed sheet are less vibrant than they should be, even though I have run the print-head cleaning routine 3 times. I have run several print jobs through the printer and there has been no improvement. The ink, I have been using, is an after-market type used in conjunction with re-fillable tanks (the brand on the ink bottles is 'Refill Solution'). I am wondering whether the ink may have lost its intensity through sitting around for 2 years-or-more and whether I should empty the tanks and refill with fresh ink. I would also like to know whether there is a cleaning fluid I could run through the print-heads, via the ink tanks, before doing this. Your advice, please, folks!

Thanks, in anticipation

Clive

Thanks, in anticipation

Clive
If you're looking forward to a delivery to your property in top colour print, you need to don't forget hiring a coloration printer. Color printers are frequently well-maintained and have more team of workers individuals than regular printers. Although ordinary printers can be taken care of via hiring a shade printer, it's critical to hold the printer healthful and experienced so that you can provide outstanding content material with none troubles.
Sometimes, cleaning tools, creams and other cleaning elements, and even pet hair may also comprise chemicals that could harm the printer. Once the printer is fixed, it is important to touch the printer organization to get a warranty.

Ask a Question