Preservation

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a quick search but I may not be using appropriate search terms. The other thing is, this may be more relevant for a craft forum but…

I have a couple of applications that I would like to try. Both of them probably have “professional” approaches but I want to try the “poor man’s” version (i.e. cheaper, although, in the case of the second application, that might not be valid, given the low prices I have seen on the internet). The two applications are essentially the same.

1) I want to wrap A4/letter inkjet output around, e.g. Pringle cans, and preserve the surface as much as possible; preferably waterproofing but water resistance would be ok (I’d like to waterproof the inside of the cans as well but, I guess, that is one for the craft forums). If it depends on type of paper and ink, I would like to know what alternative approaches I would use for each of plain paper and photo paper. Oh, and recommendations for the fixative to use would be nice.
2) I’d like to try magnetic signs, e.g. for cars. I have a) A4 “magnetic film” and b) 30 x 45 cm “magnetic vinyl sheet” (which I can’t run through my printer because of size). For a) I can inkjet print on it directly. It isn’t a great size but, if I was to use it, how would I protect it from all weather conditions? For b) I assume I could either use the above magnetic film (I haven’t tested polarity, is that a problem?) on it or plain/photo paper. As far as weather is concerned, I assume the magnetic vinyl sheet is fine as it is intended for that purpose but what fixative and preservative would I use for the appliqués?

I have seen references to Krylon® Preserve It!® but is that just to preserve the image, as opposed to preserving the medium the image is on?

Oh, and I live in Bulgaria so anything with a brand name is unlikely to be found so generic terms would be great.

Thanks.