Printer Problem

Hi,
I have an old Epson printer Stylus Color 660 model and have never had any problems with it until today. It may not be the printer itself but something else. I have checked the driver and it's OK. I can clean the ink jets and print the result but to print a document page nothing happens. I have deinstalled it and reinstalled it and that didn't work. The print log remains blank. I'm baffled. Has anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance

What operating system (Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac)?
Did you make any recent changes to your system?
Did you receive recent Epson firmware updates?
Did you try to print from WORD or WORD PAD or some other application?
Is printer USB connected to computer or do you have Wireless connection?
If wireless, do you have new router? Is this a new location?
Advise

Last edited:
Hi Ruffin,
Thanks for your quick reply.

Operating system is Windows 7 Pro. The only changes recently were Windows 7 auto updates, Yes, I tried to print from WORD and PDF but to no avail. As I said this is an old printer and has a connection to LPT1 on a Dell Optiplex 760. It's been working fine for years until now. One thing odd is when I click onto System Control and then to Printer & Devices, then at Printer Adjustment there is a red tick. I'm not sure if 'Printer Adjustment' is the correct translation as this OS is in German. However if I click onto that I get a green tick.

Ok, lets try this:

1. Navigate as follows:
Control Panel -> Devices & Printers -> Right Click Epson 660 Icon -> Select Remove Device
Do this for any other Epson 660 Icons displayed

2. Windows 7 includes printer driver for Windows 7. So follow instructions this link:

Click "Printer Driver" (Displays Seven Steps To Install)

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/...s-Series/Epson-Stylus-Color-660/s/SPT_C316001

Printer Icon must have green check in Devices & Printers (indicating "Default Printer")
Right Click Icon and select make "Default" if necessary.

Advise

Last edited:
Hi Ruffin,

Did everything as you explained and got the confirmation that it was successfully installed, however when I wanted to print the test page nothing happened. Tried again to print from Word or PDF- nothing. As I said I can clean the ink jets and it will print out the result but nothing else. It's set up as it should be, I get the green check on the "Default"
Really weird!

Hi Ruffin,

Just had a thought. I have an old computer with Windows XP on it, hooked it up and lo and behold the printer worked fine as it should. So it must be a problem with the Dell computer, but what?

Try downloading this "Printer Troubleshooter".
See if it can find something.
If you locate problem, please let us know ( for the next guy).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027397/windows-fix-printer-problems

Some more thought. Must be problem between Print Queue and printer.
Can you type WORD test document and click "print" under "File" at top of application (WORD or Word Pad etc). Do you see document in Print Queue?? If no, then problem must be between print application and Queue,
and not the printer.

More: Navigate Device and Printers -> right-click Epson 660 Icon -> select printer properties

Under security tab, specify your user account (not for Everyone, or Administrators) has permissions checked as Allow (i.e Print, Manage Documents, Manage Printer). Otherwise add your user account and allow full control.

Also Try this:
Select Printer properties (as above)
Select the Advanced tab
Select the "Start printing after last page" (instead of Start printing immediately)

Paperclip, Im outta gas. Re-install Win 7. Regards
P.S. Be sure to let us know

Hi Ruffin,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. As you advised I reinstalled windows 7, back to the beginning of Nov. and that
worked. It must have been some error during a windows update, anyway it's working now and that's the main thing.
Best regards

Hi Ruffin,

Just to let you know in case others have the same problem. Microsoft during a Nov. update screwed up causing problems with Epson printers not responding. Other printers may also be affected. This problem has now been solved by another MS update under KB 4055038 from 11/22/2017

Best regards

Ask a Question