Printer won't connect to laptop

My Canon MX320 won't print. I keep getting the message " THERE WAS A PROBLEM CONNECTING TO THE PRINTER. CHECK THE CONNECTIONS AND TRY AGAIN" I have checked the cables and also have downloaded the drivers, without any luck. Any ideas?

What operating system do u have? Windows 7 windows 10, Mac
Are you connecting printer through USB cable?
Did u install correct driver for your system?
Do u have original Driver cd?
Click Start->Devices & Printers
Is your printer listed in Devices & Printers?
Regards

Thanks for your response. I have Windows 8 and connect via cable. I have installed specific drivers for the printer, don't have CD. The printer is listed in devices.

You must determine whether Windows 8 is 64 bit or 32 bit and utilize appropriate driver below.

Driver here for 64 bit Windows 8:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...ype=drivers&language=EN&os=Windows 8 (64-bit)

Driver here for 32 bit windows 8:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...ype=drivers&language=EN&os=WINDOWS 7 (32-bit)

MP Navigator 32/64 bit Windows 8 here:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:13-1288414

My Printer 32/64 bit Windows 8 here:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:13-1439777

Solution Menu 32/64bit Windows 8 here:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:13-1000734

Follow your manual install instructions carefully.
Do not utilize USB Hub, but rather plug-in USB cord directly to computer USB ports. Try different computer USB ports.

Be sure you have good quality USB cable. Try different USB cable. Believe your usb cable is ok,
since printer shows in Devices & Printers.

You may have selection on your printer control front panel that allows "Restore Factory Defaults" or just "Restore Defaults".
Select that.

Printer Manual Here:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support...ies/pixma_mx320.aspx?type=manuals&language=EN

Regards

You are welcome. As last resort, you may wish to start over.
Right click your printer in Devices & Printers
Select remove or perhaps sez uninstall.
Then re-install your drivers as per instruction manual
Wish you luck

One further thought - You should be able to determine whether system Win 8 is 32 or 64 bit
by right clicking "My Computer" icon on ur desktop and selecting "Properties".
Next screen should show Windows 8 either 32 or 64 bit.

I have win 7, so may be slightly different.
Regards

OK, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and downloading the drivers. Have tried the other port on the laptop. Windows 8 is SOOO different to 7, but I eventually got used to it. Will now go into the printer manual. I feel sure the problem could be rectified simply by someone who knows what they are doing [and that is not me!] It's hard for you to do it remotely, will keep you posted. Thanks again and I love your dog!

Ms Castle: I forgot to say that if you do decide to start over be sure you navigate
to Control Panel->Programs and uninstall anything related to Canon Prnter

and this as well:

Right click your printer in Devices & Printers
Select remove or perhaps sez uninstall.
Then re-install your drivers as per instruction manual

I suppose you understood, that you must install either the 32 bit or 64 bit driver, but not both,
That depends on which system you have.

I found these options, which may be of some help:

And you will see many other videos on the right side of those pages above, that may be helpful.
Some even suggest that Win 8 has drivers built-in. Should you try these other methods, you
must uninstall all your Canon stuff we talked about previously. This will give u a fresh start.

Thats my Sammy. He passed a few years back. I now have another Golden Retriever Zoey.
She is a sweetheart. I love them both dearly.

Regards

Another thought:

Click the Windows key+X and then click Control Panel from the menu. Under the Hardware and Sound section, click Devices and Printers. You should see your new printer installed, but it might not be set as the default printer. Right-click the Windows 8 printer and select Set As Default Printer.

Navigate
Youtube.com
Search Install printer Windows 8 (many videos this subject here)

Google.com
Search Install printer Windows 8

Many thanks once again. I have done absolutely everything but still no luck. Perhaps I will simply buy another printer, a nuisance as I bought new cartridges recently............. Thanks again

Another thought:

Click the Windows key+X and then click Control Panel from the menu. Under the Hardware and Sound section, click Devices and Printers. You should see your new printer installed, but it might not be set as the default printer. Right-click the Windows 8 printer and select Set As Default Printer.

Navigate
Youtube.com
Search Install printer Windows 8 (many videos this subject here)

Google.com
Search Install printer Windows 8
I bought a new printer and you would not believe it! The same error message appeared...... I called the Epson helpline and was advised to turn off everything, modem included. Restarted and printer printed a word document but gave the same error message when I tried to print a pdf document. Relented and brought in a computer man who found that the problem was that I didn't have adobe acrobat installed. Did so and problem solved. So now I have a spare printer, but at least the new one was quite cheap.

Ask a Question