Printing pdf file in Adobe RGB instead of sRGB

Random question but does anyone know if it's possible to print a pdf file in Adobe RGB rather than sRGB (I assume the latter is the default). I did used to have a method where I imported the pdf file into Adobe Illustrator and then printed from there, as AI gives you full control over printing profiles and colour spaces. However I wasn't prepared to pay £25 a month to Adobe just to occasionally print a pdf file in a different colour space.

I've looked in the printer settings for Adobe Reader and can't find anything there, just wondering if anyone knows of a way to do it or a free pdf reader that allows you to change the print profile to Adobe RGB?

D

Deleted member 14725

I've looked in the printer settings for Adobe Reader and can't find anything there, just wondering if anyone knows of a way to do it or a free pdf reader that allows you to change the print profile to Adobe RGB?
I have an older version of Adobe Acrobat Pro and this is a built in feature, very nice color profile settings, the good thing is older versions don't require monthly fees (I have no idea of the latest versions as I have no need to update), you might want to check availability of older versions as something you pay for it once and never again in case subscriptions fees are an issue.

Another option is PrintFab, you can try it for free without limitations and fine tune your printer and choose color profiles, and if you like it, you can buy it for one time payment, no further fees required. It's quite flexible, I've used it extensively to adjust color, ideally your printer should be compatible (you can check online), and the adjustment options go FAR BEYOND just choosing a color profile, you can do a lot more than that, besides it's not expensive at all.

Or you can try for free... experimenting with the built in color management features on Windows (or Mac), choosing your printer and telling it to use an specific color profile. You can check some online documentation or videos in order to learn how to do this regarding your OS version and printer.

I have an older version of Adobe Acrobat Pro and this is a built in feature, very nice color profile settings, the good thing is older versions don't require monthly fees (I have no idea of the latest versions as I have no need to update), you might want to check availability of older versions as something you pay for it once and never again in case subscriptions fees are an issue.

Another option is PrintFab, you can try it for free without limitations and fine tune your printer and choose color profiles, and if you like it, you can buy it for one time payment, no further fees required. It's quite flexible, I've used it extensively to adjust color, ideally your printer should be compatible (you can check online), and the adjustment options go FAR BEYOND just choosing a color profile, you can do a lot more than that, besides it's not expensive at all.

Or you can try for free... experimenting with the built in color management features on Windows (or Mac), choosing your printer and telling it to use an specific color profile. You can check some online documentation or videos in order to learn how to do this regarding your OS version and printer.
Thanks for the reply! PrintFab looks interesting, I might try the trial version, just a bit wary of trashing my existing printer settings as I've spent ages tweaking them!

Actually with PrintFab, can you use a custom ICC profile? I had one made specifically for my printer / paper / ink combination and am using it via the Canon driver (I have a Pixma Pro 100s). If I don't have the ICC profile and just the default setting then the colours are way off! Very flat and muted, so I need to be able to use the custom ICC profile with whatever driver I am using. :)

D

Deleted member 14725

Thanks for the reply! PrintFab looks interesting, I might try the trial version, just a bit wary of trashing my existing printer settings as I've spent ages tweaking them!
You don't need to change your printer settings. PrintFab allows you to "create" a new printer (as if it was a virtual printer, but it's a real one) with custom settings. Yes it supports ICC profiles, it's on the documentation, and they also offer custom profile building, you just need to follow instructions, print the patches, and send the print to them, they will give you back a custom profile. Or if you have the right tools, you can create one on your own. Check here: https://www.printfab.net/profiles.html

I'm not affiliated to PF in any way, I just used it to print on special papers that behave way different than regular paper.

You don't need to change your printer settings. PrintFab allows you to "create" a new printer (as if it was a virtual printer, but it's a real one) with custom settings. Yes it supports ICC profiles, it's on the documentation, and they also offer custom profile building, you just need to follow instructions, print the patches, and send the print to them, they will give you back a custom profile. Or if you have the right tools, you can create one on your own. Check here: https://www.printfab.net/profiles.html

I'm not affiliated to PF in any way, I just used it to print on special papers that behave way different than regular paper.
Okay great thanks for the information! :)

Ask a Question