Problems with OEM and Epson

HI Everyone,
my first post .:eek:
I recently purchased an Epson SX445W because of good reviews. The wireless connection is another story, but my main gripe is problems with OEM ink 'compatible' cartidges. I get error messages saying they are empty but are obviously not, as I can quite clearly hear there is plenty of ink when I shake them. Has anyone else had similar problems with other Epson models. I also have an RX600 which works fine with the same OEM make cartridges. On discussing this with the cartridge supplier , they said that Epson seems to have done something within the printer firmware to measure the amount of ink used ( the OEM ones have more than twice the volumes of Epson for less money) and decides the cartridge is empty when it is clearly half full.
Is this another ploy by Epson to ensure you use their inks at their prices ?

Hi Marathon

In short - yes. All the big brands, Brother, Canon, Epson, HP, Lexmark, etc are chipping cartridges to make sure the end user has the genuine cartridges.

As a seller, we have found better success selling the genuine items as the generic regularly don't work. The chips and expectations of the big companies are regularly changing, so now we only offer genuine items. It is the safest way to make sure if works 100% of the time, although it is a little more expensive as you say.

Some guys claim to have a way to reset the print count on the chip, however, it changes from printer to printer. Sadly, there is no answer here that works across all printers all the time.

Regards,

INK HOUSE

the problem is with the chips on the cartridges, Your printer can use either the T1285 or T1295 Series of cartridges, I would recommend you use the T1295 version as these are the high capacity version an will allow the printer to more of the ink in the cartridges.

Hi Marathon

although it is a little more expensive as you say.
A little more expensive? Try several times more expensive.
There's too much $ to be made (& saved) by using compatibles or refillables. Companies will find a way.

Keep searching different forums. It CAN also depend on the BRAND of compatibles. From experience, some compatibles REGULARLY stopped working/ said empty or "not recognized," after short time. I switched companies & had no problems. If you're buying the cheapest ones you can find, may have to spend a bit more. In my example, new brand wasn't much more - just different vendor.

Hello Marathon:

Unfortunately, it sounds like it does. You see, most printer manufacturers include chips in our cartridges. It is use to keep track of ink usage but do not actually measure the ink level. So basically, even if you refill your ink cartridge, it will still not recognized your attempt (Even if you refill it to maximum capacity.)

And yes, most printer will tell you that you're ink cartridges are empty even if they're not. To give you a nice hint, the chip again are responsible for that. So the best option for you? Try to look for a reset chip that works for your printer model. If you find one, then using compatible inks (which are cheaper than brand news) will not be a problem anymore.

Hello All, my first post on printerforums and it seems like I will have real trouble staying within the rules. How can I avoid posting anything hateful and yet still talk about my Epson Printer?

I have been an Epson customer since computers first arrived in our offices and homes. However, having just been through the annoyance of having replaced all of my aftermarket cartridges for the umpteenth time, I made a promise to myself that I'd NEVER buy another Epson product of any kind. Its all about Epson's approach to those of us who value freedom of choice or who find ourselves emotionally unable to be ripped off and still smile. I can't afford Epson's obscene prices for genuine cartridges and we print as little as possible in my house .... preferring to avoid using paper as much as possible. Its a caring about the planet thing. We find that if we instal a new set of aftermarket cartridges and then print nothing at all, they nevertheless seem to magically get 'consumed' over time. And on those odd occasions when we do want to print anything, we find that we cant get a decent copy because our printer heads have clogged. Using Epson's head cleaning utility is tantamount to expiring one's current cartridges!

I live in a country where companies can be prosecuted for price fixing and for indulging in restrictive trade practices. It seems like printer manufacturers are immune from any such restrictions.

So I joined Printerforums, hoping that I could survey other Members' posts and find out what brand and type of printer would meet my limited needs. Alas, I read that all of the major makers are following this same immoral practice of doctoring up their firmware to 'encourage' their customers to use only their (overpriced) consumables. Its pretty obvious that the ink is where the money is. Its hard to imagine how printers could be marketed so cheaply otherwise.

So I suppose my question remains, even if hope hasn't.

Is there a brand and type of printer that will produce good quality colour (color for my American friends) prints, tolerate occasional use only and allow me to purchase consumables at reasonable prices? I'd consider a laser printer if that promised a more cost effective solution in the long term. Anything that will allow me to avoid toeing the line and complying with this corporate conspiracy would be very welcome. Perhaps there's a decent kit that would enable me to refill my cartridges without having my printer throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to work. My printer, by the way is an Epson Stylus Photo RX530.

Any advice that members can offer will be very much appreciated. A link to a supplier of reliable aftermarket cartridges or a good chip resetting gizmo and ink supplies would be helpful otherwise.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards,

Andy.

Ask a Question