product lifetime

Not sure where to ask this, but I'll start here. I'm trying to put together a framed picture with some text, under glass, for institutional display, of an honored staffer. Ideally, this will have a long lifetime to fading. It won't be in sunlight, but still ... . So what I'd like to know is whether a regular laserjet print has a good lifetime, and what kind of paper would best insure that. If not a regular laserjet print, then what kind of a product am I looking for that will produce a print with a long lifetime? I have to believe that photographic emulsion is not optimal in this regard. Maybe there is some post-printing treatment (a spray perhaps) that would extend the lifetime of a laser print? Wisdom appreciated, and especially pointers to online info about this.

Last edited:
OK, I am starting to learn that dye-based inks are pretty fragile, e.g. with regard to UV. They will fade pretty quickly. Black laser toner is carbon-based, and is quite resistant to fading. (My application will likely be just B&W). Inkjet dyes CAN be good, but you need special archival dyes. More info?

D

Deleted member 14725

OK, I am starting to learn that dye-based inks are pretty fragile, e.g. with regard to UV. They will fade pretty quickly. Black laser toner is carbon-based, and is quite resistant to fading. (My application will likely be just B&W). Inkjet dyes CAN be good, but you need special archival dyes. More info?
Cool, if it's only B&W laser sounds good.

Dye ink? there are some interesting reviews and supposed "tests" online and on Youtube regarding ink resistance to fading, same as ink + special paper, you might want to look into that. I can't talk much about that because I pay little attention to those brand reviews.

Personally, if I want stuff to last, I use original Canon inks, be it on Canon/HP/Epson printers AND THEN I use UV spray as protection. The prints have not failed me, just remember, if your case is of high importance, consider applying some spray on the back of the paper too, to avoid moisture filtration also from the back.

Thank you. Now, you're saying B&W laser requires no special treatments?

I see UV protectant spray for vinyl. Is there such thing for paper, that dries cleanly?

I didn't ask, but what paper is best to use for archival purposes? I guess acid-free, 100% cotton?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14725

Thank you. Now, you're saying B&W laser requires no special treatments?

I see UV protectant spray for vinyl. Is there such thing for paper, that dries cleanly?

I didn't ask, but what paper is best to use for archival purposes?
Not exactly, I don't have enough experience with laser printers in this regard, yes I have a B&W laser printer but not something I have put to the test over the years. Fast searching the web, there is info on fade resistance, just as "they also fade" too. But it's not an area where I have enough experience.

As for spray, I have tried diff brands locally available (not the wide range available online), my favorite so far is the Rust Oleum UV 2X. Dries fast if you apply a bit, then another bit. No problems so far.

As for archival paper I honestly don't know. I don't use specialized brands of paper, instead jut regular paper. But I know there is archival paper, you might want to try the Jorge Rodriguez printing techie Youtube Channel, or ask him directly, he reads the messages and contributes with related info, or will point you to the right video.

OK, I think the answer was right in front of me. Laser printing is the same process as photocopying, and there is VAST, VAST literature on archival preservation of photocopies. Laser printing just got started in the last thirty years or so, but photocopying has been going on for the last seventy. The answer seems to be that as long as the toner is mainly carbon based, and the paper stock is archival quality, you're good to go. There are other sorta diddly suggestions, like keeping the copy out of automated paper handlers.

Ask a Question