replacement for Canon Pixma iP5000

I'm very happy with my Canon Pixma iP5000 but it is getting tired and starting to act up, and I don't know how much longer I can count on it. I'm looking for a replacement, but all I find are MFDs. I don't want an MFD. I have a copier and a scanner, both of which are much better than any MFD. I use an Internet fax solution. I don't want the extra size and complexity of an MFD. Doesn't anyone make a single-function printer any more with features like my Pixma?

I like the number and cost of the ink cartridges, the paper handling and the duplex printing. I'm satisfied with the speed and quality. If I could find something similar I would be a happy camper. If it had wireless capabilities that would be a plus; ability to print from my iDevices would really be a bonus.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Best,

Jim

Well, that is a rather old and slow device ... BCI-6 based is 4 generations in the past for entry level Canon SOHO printers (next --> CLI-8, then CLI-221, then CLI-226, now CLI-251)

However, you may be disappointed with newer printers, especially if you refill. The newest Canon cartridges are fully opaque, and with about 30% less ink capacity (at about the same MSRP ... grrr). Also, they need resetters (not an issue if available).

Unless your expectations are pretty high on photo-print-quality, you may not see much improvement. There are newer printers that are much faster.

If you know what you are doing, and live near a relatively large city, I'd be tempted to look for lightly used CLI-8 based printers. If you can live with a "large footprint", there tend to be a LOT of excellent Pixma Pro 9000-2's available.

Thanks for the reply, l_d_, but I changed my mind about the printer issue and ended up buying a Canon MG8220 (226 cartridges). I decided I could use a MFD after all, primarily in the motorhome at events, and the wireless feature is very handy in those situations also. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Glad to hear that. The MG8220 appears to be very, very similar to my MP990, including having a Gray dye ink cartridge, and relatively fast with its 6000+ nozzles.

in the motorhome at events

I'm more than a bit curious about your use of the MG8220, if you don't mind me asking.

Are you a professional photographer that takes photos to sell prints at events? I can see how the MG8220 would be excellent for that.

I've thought about doing something like that, such as rodeos, bike races, dog shows, etc.

I'm more than a bit curious about your use of the MG8220, if you don't mind me asking.

Are you a professional photographer that takes photos to sell prints at events? I can see how the MG8220 would be excellent for that.

I've thought about doing something like that, such as rodeos, bike races, dog shows, etc.

Actually I didn't choose the MG8220 because of its photo printing quality, but rather a combination of paper-handling features, relatively modest footprint and reasonable price.

About three or four times a year I use the motorhome to camp at events including air shows, the Reno Air Races and an off-road event, that I help with. I set up my laptop and MFD in the motorhome and use it for downloading and printing out schedules, working on PowerPoint presentations for pilot briefings, making copies, etc. Comes in very handy.

Best,

Jim

Ask a Question