Screen Message stuck in 'now scanning'

My HP Photosmart c309a suddenly started printing blank documents after showing the black ink was low (which it was not). I replaced the cartridge but the reading did not change. I called the HP help line and they suggested pulling out the power plug then holding down #3 whilst plugging it back in to reset. It went through initialisation and printed off a test page with no difficulty but then went straight back to showing 'now scanning' on the screen, and I could still not copy a document. I could however now print a document from my computer but I could not scan.

I then tried holding down *and # and then pressing 1,2 and 3 sequentially but that had no effect.

HP now tell me I must have a hardware problem and should replace the printer. I am doubtful that they have exhausted all solutions (I have had this problem before with HP and when I have called back the second person gave me a workable solution).

Any suggestions? If not what printer should I go for as a replacement. I was happy enough with this one but a review site I looked at recommended HP Officejet Pro 8600.

Ask a Question