Shoppers Unite

I have not seen any printer advertiser that announces that their inkjet printer has a pre-planned end of life. As far as I have seen, they all do, with the purge counters and waste pad full end of life. Consumers have a right, in my opinion, to know what that end of life counter is. I would like to see an exploration of how we as the consumer can force some consumer protection agency or legislative body to require printer manufacturers to reveal planned obsolescence information on every model of printer they sell. I don't know how to get something like this started, but it seems some regulatory body would recognize that manufacturers are advertising products as though they will last forever, when they intentionally engineer them to fail within a specified time or frequency of use. What good is a printer that will print 18,000 pages when the engineers have set a counter to lock up printing after say 16,000 pages (or whatever) Any Ideas????

The useful life for office equipment is 5years, this is for accounting purposes only, most office equipment lasts much longer but can become obsolete for other reasons (unsupported software, incompatible operating systems. I only mention it because most of the printers used in the home are also used in most offices. Also, you may have noticed that discontinued models usually come with a notification that repairs will no longer be done as spare parts are no longer in stock. Doesn't really answer your question but lets you know that even corporations face the same issues with aged office equipment.

Ask a Question