Types of dye based ink

When filling cartridges is it important to use an ink that specifies the printer, or are these dye based inks much of a muchness

From personal experience I can say, without question, that the low cost "compatable" inks are definately "much of a muchness". These generic inks give wishy-washy colours with no intensity and bleed into each other quite dramatically, especially on copier paper but even on good quality photo paper. All of the suppliers of these inks will tell you they are exclusively formulated for your printer but take it from someone that used to be in the cartridge recycling business that just ain't so. I have actually stood and watched Epson, Canon, HP and Brother cartridges all being filled from the same ink tank :confused:

If you intend to do any photo printing then you are best served using original Epson inks - yeah I know they cost more per gram than gold - or you'll spend all of your time trying to find ways to match the colours coming out of the printer to what you see on screen. You will never get them to match :eek:

Hope that helps

Steve

Thank you for the information.

From your experience in the cartridge recycling industry, do you know of a simple way to refill and use an Epson Cartridge (Stylus SX 100 Printer) - it has a chip fitted to the outside which I believe prevents refilling (obviously it can be refilled, but I don't think it will print).

Best wishes

The chip gets written to by the printer to show it's empty so you need a chip resetting device - you can probably get them online.

There will be a filling hole on the top of the cartridge under the label somewhere. Normally this is close to the front of the cartridge - you can't refill via the breather hole at the back.

Generic cartridges are so cheap I wouldn't think about refilling for general printing - it gets way messy :eek: Have a look on the Internet for ink flow systems as they are the most economic option over the long term. I use one from a company called Fotospeed but they don't do one for your printer :(

Hope that helps

Steve

Ask a Question