Using Epson PX650 just as a scanner

Hi,

Someone gave this printer to me with all cartridges missing. I can scan by connecting it to the PC, but I thought it would be nifty if I had it as a standalone device, and scanned directly to a USB stick or SD card, which, as I understand, is possible.

I was thinking about buying some knock-off cartridges from China, but, even if 10 or so dollars is not a lot of money, I still don't want to throw it down the toilet. Most sellers provide empty cartridges with ink sold separately. Would those be enough to fool the printer? If not, are there any other "hacks" I can try? If I do manage to fool it, can it start spazzing out again due to some other reason, like printer heads gone bad, or me looking at it the wrong way?

While we're on the subject, I've only been able to get the scanner to run on Windows 10 with the default drivers and IrfanView. The problem here is that, even if I select the batch scan option, it closes itself after doing one image, and resets to 100 DPI, discarding my setting. I have to go through it each time. Same goes for Photoshop. Any other software out there that would let me scan in batch?

Ask a Question