Very Slow to launch scanner WF4745

Have just got a WF4745 as my WF4630 developed a fatal fault. All credit to Epson, they provided the WF4745 as a replacement even though the 4630 was out of warranty, however I now have a major issue with this new device. If I launch the Epson Scan 2 scanner program it can take up to 7 minutes (but more usually 2 - 3 minutes) to just launch the program, eg put the scanner dialogue on screen. Then once the dialogue appears if I select "Preview" or "Scan" it then takes a further few minutes to actually start to scan. Once scanning all is fine and it completes quickly.

I have had Epson techs on the phone and remoting in to my PC, but they have given up saying it is my PC and that their software is fine, however the previous 4630 worked fine with the previous version of Epson Scan, so while it may be my PC, their scan software is not compatible with it.

In an attempt to try to track down the problem I used Task Manager "Analyse Wait Chain" to try to see what was delaying the launch and found a message that says "one or more threads of es2launcher are waiting to finish network I/O", however I have no idea what I might do to fix that. Have been through the un-install/re-install drivers/program a number of times. The printer itself works fine with no delay to print pages. I would be very happy to get some possible solutions.

Sounds like your Antivirus or Windows Firewall may be causing the delay.
Disable both and re-try.
Advice

You dont indicate Operating System?
Is printer wired USB or Wireless?
The OS is Win10 Pro 64bit and the printer is wired using a fixed IP address. I should also add that a Dell laptop running Win10 home 64bit gets the 4745 to scan with no delay.

Last edited:
Sounds like your Antivirus or Windows Firewall may be causing the delay.
Disable both and re-try.
Advice
I have gone to some lengths to isolate the problem, even "resetting" the PC, eg rebuilding it using an ISO image, but keeping my personal files intact. I tried the scanner straight after "resetting" and before re-installing the Bitdefender virus scanner/firewall which has at times locked me out of file shares, and it still had this issue. I should also add that the Windows default scanner application does work fine, but has far fewer scanning options available, eg resolution only goes to 200dpi

What about Windows Firewall?
When I check the firewall it says Bitdefender is installed as the firewall provider. I have this issue with Bitdefender firewall off (just retried a minute ago to see if any change - there wasn't) as well as having rebuilt the PC without Bitdefender and still having the issue.

I still have this extremely annoying problem with the delayed launch then delayed scan which makes using the scanner almost impossible. Anyone else have this problem or a possible solution?

Ask a Question