What printer to buy

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering what printer would be the best choice for me, given a number of requirements I have. I'm looking for a not-too-expensive home printer (I will also take the price of cartridges into consideration). I have some ideas after researching a couple of models, but would like some advice before I make a final decision. Here are my requirements:
  • High resolution (I will print architectural drawings -- I'd like to see the difference between thick and thin lines)
  • Accurate colors
  • The ability to print on to 300g paper (more is better)
  • Wireless printing (does not have to be super simple to set up, I have some computer networking experience)
  • Relatively small (does not have to be super small though)
I have some secondary requirements, that are not essential:
  • Good photographic printing capabilities
  • Scanning capabilities
I do not care about printing speed. I'd be thankful for any advice I'll get.

With best regards,
Már

Ian

Hi Már, welcome to the forums :).

I've just got a couple of questions that may help people be able to suggest a printer - which part of the world are you from and what paper size will you be using (is A4 big enough?).

Hi,

What printer did you end up buying? If you haven't already, I'd recommend a decent HP. Maybe a X476DW?

Also, why do you want do print up to 300g papers? That's thicker than a regular postcard..

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering what printer would be the best choice for me, given a number of requirements I have. I'm looking for a not-too-expensive home printer (I will also take the price of cartridges into consideration). I have some ideas after researching a couple of models, but would like some advice before I make a final decision. Here are my requirements:
  • High resolution (I will print architectural drawings -- I'd like to see the difference between thick and thin lines)
  • Accurate colors
  • The ability to print on to 300g paper (more is better)
  • Wireless printing (does not have to be super simple to set up, I have some computer networking experience)
  • Relatively small (does not have to be super small though)
I have some secondary requirements, that are not essential:
  • Good photographic printing capabilities
  • Scanning capabilities
I do not care about printing speed. I'd be thankful for any advice I'll get.

With best regards,
Már

DO NOT BUY HP ! Canon is OK, you have CIS and reseter for cartridges to be refill.

From what you are asking, it sounds like you are after a professional CAD printer. These are rather expensive. The three best manufacturers are Epson, Canon and HP, all of them have great points and will do almost everything you want.

As for the use of refilled cartridges, it matters not which printer you purchase, if you use aftermarket inks you will risk damaging your printhead which may render the printer useless. I can take you through the technical reasons for this, but that is not really important.

300 gsm paper is at the limit of what most professional grade CAD printers will print on. I am not aware of a consumer printer that will print on media this heavy with any great success.

Unfortunately, it sounds to me as though you want a professional grade printer in the body of a consumer grade printer. They really don't exist.
The best bet would be to look at the epson range of inkjet printers. They are cost effective, produce beautiful reproduction to photo quality on the correct media, usually have a rear feed to allow for heavy media (not 300gsm) and will print up to 5750 x 1440 dpi. Some have wireless and nearly all have ethernet.

Here is a range http://www.epson.com.au/products/printers_all_in_ones/Printers_For_Home/index.asp

Last edited:
I I suppose you have already bought the printer. A few years ago I had a digital press and I had an Epson printer that allowed me to print on 300 grs papers.

I'm considering Canon Pixma MG7150 and read a couple of reviews about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Canon MX 922 - it died after 1 year and 4 months - Got a 1403 error install correct print head. I tried to clean it up and reseat it - no luck so in the garbage it went sold the ink. I bought a Brother DCP-L2540DW. It is not color it is a laser and it does not fax. BUT I didn't care about that - i wanted a scanner / printer that could be hooked up wirelessly or ethernet. This does that. Hook up is a breeze easy. It also prints duplex - I downloaded the app for my phone it is a awesome printer - it is on amazon for $120.00. Hope this helps Dave

Ask a Question