wireless printer problems

I create reports, about 100 pages, most of which is standard information but it takes me from one to two hours to create - text and images.

I have one desktop PC windows XP computer that is connected to my HP office jet Pro 8500. This computer is used by my wife.

A second desktop PC Windows Vista nearby I use and is connected to the same printer by wireless connection through the router.

A third computer is a laptop Windows 7, mostly used in another room and is also connected wirelessly through the router.

They all communicate with the printer much of the time, but the wireless connections are erratic and very frustrating. I am not sure if the printer is sleeping and will not connect but often the project sits in the printer queue and does not print, will not restart. If I get a paper jamb or run out of ink, I end up rebooting the computer and printer to get everything working again. It takes more time getting the print out than creating the report.

For one thing, printers on network that are assigned IP addresses by router, sometimes remove that address, if the device (any device) is turned off > the set time to hold the IP (often 24 hr).

There may be settings in the printer to wake on print job. Next time it won't print, before rebooting, check the printer's IP address, for it's network settings in its control panel. Check that against the addresses setup in the wireless computers.

When you reboot, it may cause router to assign a new IP to printer (where it was lost before). A way around this is to assign the printer a static IP addr. - that is OUTSIDE the router's IP assignment range. You can find articles how to do this - probably on printer's support site.

If routers IP range is 100 - 149, via the printer's Web UI, you'd follow instructions on assigning static IP; choose one higher than router's last address (here, 149).

Another thing, run check on your computers' network adapters - make sure they're functioning. Then, you'll have to set all wireless computers to use the newly assigned printer port (IP) address.

Ask a Question