Xpress SL-M2875ND scanning resolution and settings

I bought this printer a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere I look for the specs, the resolution of the scanner is specified as 1200x1200dpi optical. However after installing all of the drivers/software that's available for it, I could only find 600dpi as the maximum.
On Samsung's helpdesk, I was told that the "printer driver" only supports max 600dpi and to use higher I have to use the "twain driver" with software that supports it. How is it possible that Samsung doesn't include software capable of utilizing the most of the scanner? They've included a ton of crap!
Okay, so I've tried VueScan first, couldn't get higher than 600dpi. Next I've tried IrfanView, using which I actually did get to a dialogue/window where it was possible to set the resolution to 1200, 2400 and even 4800dpi.

But it is unusable. If I select anything up to 600dpi (included), the picture is nice and the colours are balanced. If I select anything higher, the resolution is higher, but the colours are atrocious. It's like the contrast, brightness and gamma settings are horribly misconfigured that the image is just looks burnt. It's impossible to manually set it up so that it comes anywhere near the quality of the default scan at 600dpi. It almost seems like the manual adjustments are ignored.

Did anyone have issues like this? Is there anything else I could do? I wanted to scan some old pictures in the best quality I could before they rot away.

Thanks

I bought this printer a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere I look for the specs, the resolution of the scanner is specified as 1200x1200dpi optical. However after installing all of the drivers/software that's available for it, I could only find 600dpi as the maximum.
On Samsung's helpdesk, I was told that the "printer driver" only supports max 600dpi and to use higher I have to use the "twain driver" with software that supports it. How is it possible that Samsung doesn't include software capable of utilizing the most of the scanner? They've included a ton of crap!
Okay, so I've tried VueScan first, couldn't get higher than 600dpi. Next I've tried IrfanView, using which I actually did get to a dialogue/window where it was possible to set the resolution to 1200, 2400 and even 4800dpi.

But it is unusable. If I select anything up to 600dpi (included), the picture is nice and the colours are balanced. If I select anything higher, the resolution is higher, but the colours are atrocious. It's like the contrast, brightness and gamma settings are horribly misconfigured that the image is just looks burnt. It's impossible to manually set it up so that it comes anywhere near the quality of the default scan at 600dpi. It almost seems like the manual adjustments are ignored.

Did anyone have issues like this? Is there anything else I could do? I wanted to scan some old pictures in the best quality I could before they rot away.

Thanks

Yes you are right Easy document creator is limited for 600 dpi..

Use older software 'Scan assistant' for windows to get the more dpi in scanning

Ask a Question