Canon Pixma MP490 Paper Feed Issue

Hello, everyone!

My printer recently developed a habit of paper-jamming itself on each and every print job, and it does it the same way each time.

Anytime the paper starts to feed into the printer, one side of the paper starts to feed in while the other doesn't, and it does it the same way each time. Facing the printer, the left side of the paper starts to feed in while the right doesn't or lags behind, causing it to jam each and every time.

I ran the recommended cleaning options, but this didn't solve it. I've called several computer repair businesses and they all told me they don't fix inkjets.

Any ideas on how I can solve this?

Thanks!

Erik
Massachusetts

This may sound crazy but something has probably fallen into and that's what's causing the problem. When I repaired printers this was the most common reason for your problem. I've removed pens, crayons, even a cheerio from Canons! If you have a cat this is almost definitely what has happened! Try turning it upside down.

This may sound crazy but something has probably fallen into and that's what's causing the problem. When I repaired printers this was the most common reason for your problem. I've removed pens, crayons, even a cheerio from Canons! If you have a cat this is almost definitely what has happened! Try turning it upside down.

It's funny, what you said about a cat, because we have one and he LOVES the printer (when it's printing).

I totally believe what you said about the possibility of there being something that fell in there, especially because I seem to remember dropping a coin or something like that in there at one point.

We've tried turning the printer upside down and shaking it, but nothing comes out. And we can't visibly see anything stuck in there.

Is there a way to get to an item which might be lodged in there?

If you get a piece of card, like from a folder, you can either try pushing it through yourself or try to print a copy. The thicker card should push anything small through. You could also try it in the opposite direction, force some card through from the bottom and then try to pull it up from the paper feed side. If it's a bigger object and turning it upside down and jiggling didn't work then try tilting the printer backwards so the back of the printer is resting on your desk and open the ink cartridge area and try to reach into the paper feed area.

Nailed It

If you get a piece of card, like from a folder, you can either try pushing it through yourself or try to print a copy. The thicker card should push anything small through. You could also try it in the opposite direction, force some card through from the bottom and then try to pull it up from the paper feed side. If it's a bigger object and turning it upside down and jiggling didn't work then try tilting the printer backwards so the back of the printer is resting on your desk and open the ink cartridge area and try to reach into the paper feed area.

Well, I tried the card thing and it was STILL getting jammed, so I started taking some stuff apart. Tilted the printer backwards and out popped a screw! Just did a few test prints and everything is working perfectly again.

Everyone is this thread ROCKS! THANK YOU to ALL OF YOU!

This still works. My mothers printer was doing the same thing and I couldn't figure out why the right side kept jamming. I tipped it up and push pin came out. After that it worked like a charm!

Ask a Question