Disabling Low Ink Warning Might Damage Printhead?

My latest home office printer is an Epson MFP. Previous models were Canon and HP. I
always disabled the low ink warning because expensive cartridges printed page after
page until the ink finally ran out.

Just a wild guess, but it seems like these low ink messages are set to appear at 80% empty.
That means you're wasting very costly ink each time a cartridge is replaced.

I just read this warning at Inksaver:

https://www.inksaver.co.za/en/blog/Low-ink-warning.php

"WARNING: Epson printheads are very sensitive, so as soon as the printer gives you a
‘Cartridge Empty’ warning, you have to replace the ink cartridge as running Epson cartridges
to empty could damage the printhead
."

Maybe I was very lucky, but using Canon and HP cartridges until they ran dry did not effect
the longevity of those printers.

If that advice from Inksaver is correct, should I junk my Epson cartridges when the low ink
warning appears? If the answer is "yes" that means the actual cost of Epson cartridges is
much higher than whatever you paid.

Not sure about their warning, but I always change my cartridges before any ink warning. Ink is so cheap. My Brother printer uses LC103 from LD products. They cost $2.25 each. The cartridges last 6-8 months! I did run a black cartridge until it printed bad. Took a while to get it going with a new cartridge and flushing the printhead. Now, not worth if for a couple of bucks that last 8 months.

Ask a Question