Cartridges in Canon Pixma Printers -are they chipped

My old Canon BJC-4400 is finally succumbing to old age and infirmity. The only reason I have persisted with it is that I can refill the cartridges, black & colour, with proprietary inks providing me with adequate quality at huge savings over either the Canon cartridges or non-Canon equivalents.

I am considering purchasing either a Canon Pixma IP4850 or IP2702. The cartridges for the former are CLI 526C,526M,526Y and526BK and for the latter are PG512 & PG513.

I have been unable to ascertain whether these cartridges are "refillable". Are they chipped and if so can the chip be reset?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

DocLee

I think that both sets of cartridges do have chips that would need reseting before re-filling. A good alternative would be to purchase compatible cartridges (cheaper 3rd party cartridges), they are widely available for both printers.

Yes most of the big printer companies not only chip their cartridges, but they'll actually tell you they're empty when they've got perhaps 20% capacity - in my opinion is by far HP the worst.

Ask a Question