Epson WF-4730 Uses Too Much Color Inks

JAL

I have an Epson WF-4730 printer. I print 95% or more of the time using "black / grayscale" mode. I find that even so my color cartridges need to be replaced frequently, as in 6 to 8 weeks. I would have thought that by setting black/grayscale in the preferences that color inks would not be used at all. Apparently not so. Can anyone set me straight on this?

FYI, this is a personal use printer. It is not a high volume business or home office unit. I would estimate that I go through about one ream of paper in a month.

Since color inks are also utilized during print head cleaning, you might try leaving printer turned on
full time. I believe printer runs cleaning process every Power Up & Down.

JAL

Thanks for this. I only power cycle the printer in cases of errors that won't clear otherwise.
You bring up a good point tho. Sometimes at the end of a print job the printer continues wizzing and whiring, sounding very similar to when I have replaced a cartridge and it is being charged.

Ask a Question