HELP find new printers for our soap company!

Hello Everyone!

We are a soap company based in Hawaii called Filthy Farmgirl We have been printing our labels in-house for the last six years on ancient HP Photosmart inkjet printers. We want to upgrade to new printers, but so far we can't find anything that works for us. We spend $12,000 a year on ink and it makes sense to find a new printing system and put it to work!

The old printers we like all use the 75xl and 74xl ink cartridges. The print quality is amazing. Rich deep colors, black blacks, sharp text. We print on fairly "regular" paper which costs 2 cents a sheet. There are thousands of printers that print beautiful color prints on special inkjet or coated photo paper, but try putting in a sheet of normal uncoated paper and the colors come out dull and faded looking.

We buy genuine HP color ink on bay, and use locally refilled black cartridges. We have experimented with refilled color cartridges from several refiners but the print quality is no good. We use on average eight color ink cartridges per week. When we buy them on bay they cost $16-$20 If we have to buy them retail they are $45 each. The printers are obsolete (hp stopped making them years ago) but so far there is a solid supply of used ones on ebay. We try to keep 3 or 4 running all the time, when one dies we replace it.

Eventually this system will become unviable. We will no longer be able to buy used printers, or the sources of cheap ink on ebay will "dry up." Hp still makes the ink cartridges but they will eventually stop.

Last year we tried switching to another obsolete HP inkjet, the 8500A. The print quality was almost as good and the 8500A has separate C,M,Y and K cartridges which allowed us to use refillable inks with acceptable color quality and long term ink availability. We thought we had found the solution! We bought 4 printers but as soon as we put them into heavy production they all got plugged printheads. Even with genuine inks, they were not able to handle the constant output of heavily inked pages.

Laser printers might work, we have done test prints that look almost as good as our little inkjets. So far we have not found a laser printer that can beat the per page cost. Another consideration with laser printer options is power consumption. We are completely off grid and the large laser printers with good per page cost efficiency use significantly more electricity. We would have to upgrade our solar array if we switch to big industrial laser printers. At this point nothing is out of the question.

Another possible solution is CISS.

Any help or suggestions are MOST WELCOME :)

P.S. We will send free soap to anyone who comes up with a good solution!

Hello,

If i had to put my professional opinion in here; if you're looking for maximum value, i would recommend a Laser Printer. You can get much higher productivity and outstanding color reproduction as well. a Printer Like the Brother MFC-9970CW or the HP Laserjet Pro 200 would be ideal for what you are trying to do. The best part is SupplisOutlet.com Provides Toner cartridges at low prices. Over that is the way i would recommend proceeding. however if you're only looking for inkjet, I would have to recommend the HP Officejet 4620 or Brother MFC-6490CW both offer great printing options and again SuppliesOutlet.com provides the cartridges you need at a low cost. Let me know if this information helped you at all.

Thank you and have a great day,

Adrian Watson- Technical Support, SuppliesOutlet.com

Have you thought about learning how to do your own ink cartridge refilling? There is definitely a learning curve, but your volume would seem to justify it.

You can pick up used Canon Pixma Pro 9000-2's very reasonably, as Canon has closed them out, and there were "rebate specials" for years. You do have to know what you are doing as far as dealing with possibly dried-out print-heads.

I've been using OCP ink from Germany for several years, and been very happy with it. If the print quality has to be as good as OEM ink + OEM paper, then you'll probably need to get custom profiles. In any case, the print quality will be very, very good.

I would think a consideration is that you would be in control of the ink used, and not at the mercy of clogs from no-name ink that can vary with each order.

I figure it costs me about 20¢ to refill a 13ml CLI-8 cartridge, Your existing 75xl cartridges may have higher ink capacity ... I'm mostly ignorant about HP.

However, if you are using 2¢ per sheet paper, than I infer your print quality expectations are rather modest. What specifically are you using for paper? A step up from plain copy paper?

But do you need pigment ink for fade resistance and more stable if the print gets damp? Dye ink can run if it gets damp, especially if it hasn't fully dried. But pigment ink is a hassle ... more likely to clog.

I don't have any experience with color lasers, but I would sure look into that option for higher volume.

Ask a Question