how to switch from USB to wifi - brother mfc-l2729wd

just installed drivers and indicated I wanted to set the printer up to connect via wifi using a USB cable to get started. when asked to reboot, the (windows 10) PC did, but the display was weird with icons and windows missing things like, well, any text at all.

I rebooted again and all seemed normal, except that the printer is now connected via USB. I checked the printer and found that the IP info was all set to zeros. from the control panel on the printer I was able to run a wizard that offered to switch the interface to wifi. it then connected to my network with a DHCP-assigned IP address provided by the router.

Printer still worked (print, scan), but when I disconnected the USB cable the driver reported that the printer was not available.

How can I adjust the driver to know that the printer is now wifi accessible?

Look in Control Panel -> Devices & Printers
Should see two MFC-12729 icons, one for network printer and one for USB.
Right Click Network Printer Icon -> Select "Make Default"
Network Printer Icon now has green check (indicating default)

If you do not see icons, repeat install process using install CD. Carefully follow instructions.
You will need SSID netwk name and pass phrase (password) as programmed in your router.

Thanks, Ruffin. The install must have come to grief before installing the icons.

Problem now solved: I deinstalled and reinstalled, this time opting to NOT use a USB cable to get started. Now that the printer's wifi adapter has been configured to be on the network, the software install found the printer and all worked well.

One further question just in case I have the same problem with this printer in the future as I had with my previous Samsung: The IP address was assigned by DHCP. In the event that the IP address changes after other changes to my network, will the printer driver still be able to connect to the printer using its host name? That did not always happen with the Samsung.

Network wont change. Network is established. Only changes will be adding or removing devices (PC - smartphone - laptop etc)

Update: I did have a similar problem in which the driver reported the printer offline. this has now happened twice. The printer seemed to have the correct settings to connect to my wifi router, but nothing prints.

I received the solution below from "Brother Solutions" that does not include a full reinstall of the related software, and have used it successfully twice. I still do not know the cause of the problem, but it seems to happen when I try to print when the printer is asleep.
  • On the printer > settings > all settings > network > network reset.
  • Printer reboots.
  • On the printer > settings > all settings > network > wlan > setup wizard.
  • Select SSID of wifi/router.
  • Enter router password.
  • Done.

Ask a Question