HP 1510 PSC suddenly not working - says it's out of coloured ink

Our HP1510 PSC is now quite old - 7 or 8 years old I think. It hasn't been a brilliant printer, but it has generally kept going, though it has has awkward times when for an hour or two we thought the end had come.

A few weeks ago it printed two pages of a job normally and then ran out of paper. We put more paper in straightaway but from that time on we have failed to get it to print at all.

Coincidentally our Kodak Hero 7.1 (which is much newer - maybe 2 years old) stopped printing at almost exactly the same time. We tried all the same things with both printers to try to mend them (reinstalling cartridges, putting in new cartridges, switching on and off). With the Kodak the next to last thing I tried was putting in new Kodak cartridges, although previously it had worked with compatible ones. Still it wouldn't print.

The Kodak was displaying an error message with a number, and after a lot of googling I found a Kodak website where that number led to a piece of "firmware" to be downloaded. I downloaded and installed it. The error message continued to be displayed but in desperation I tried switching off and on again and at long last the printer worked!

I did nearly all the same things with the HP, but we didn't install new HP cartridges because we were afraid that the printer might be dying of old age and we didn't want to risk throwing away a lot of money. (The printer has run fine on various compatible cartridges over a long period.) I did download the latest driver (I think HP used different terminology from Kodak) and install it, but no matter how much switching on and off I did I could not get it to print.

A red light flashes at the top, next to the words "Check Print Cartridge". At the same time, at the bottom, in the window saying "Black" above and "Color" below, the word "Color" lights up and dims in time with the flashing. At the bottom of the "Copy Settings" window there is an "E" beside the word "Copies".

I have heard it said that some printers are designed to stop working after they have printed a certain number of pages. Does anyone reading this have certain knowledge whether or not this is true? Is it likely that this is the explanation for why our HP printer is no longer working?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to what we should do now.

I have heard it said that some printers are designed to stop working after they have printed a certain number of pages. Does anyone reading this have certain knowledge whether or not this is true? Is it likely that this is the explanation for why our HP printer is no longer working?
Trash it

Ask a Question