Lexmark 82 black ink printer cartridge

Because OEM black printer ink cartridges are so expensive, I have tried purchasing "genuine" and " remanufactured" online. Often are scams, or don't work when they arrive, or shortly thereafter. Have followed Lexmark printer instructions to clear out nozzles etc without success. I am told there is away to 'reenergize' clogged or dried cartridges through steaming the unit...presume humidity/moisture gets the ink flowing again. Has anyone heard of this and can you advise how to do it at home?

P.S. For the heck of it, I cracked open an old cartridge to see what the contents were. The sponge was still soft and there was ink in it. (I understand some sponges dry out and get deformed?) Directly below the sponge(where the contacts are on the bottom outside) was a grey piece of plastic glued on top of the little port to the exterior contacts. To my eye didn't seem to let ink flow through it? Should it have been there? I am assuming the cartridge is gravity fed, so does there need to be a hole in the top of the cartridge and bottom to prevent a vacuum blockage from forming?

Thanks.

Boil the kettle whilst its boiling get some kitchen role or tissue paper and wrap it up in to a big ball. Place it on to a plate, pour the hot water on to the tissue. let it sit for a minute so it cools down slightly. Place the cartridge with the print head down on to the tissue and apply pressure. You will see the ink start to come through on to the tissue, hold it down for about 45 seconds then try it in your printer.. As ink in cartridges is water based the steam will unblock any blocked nozzles.

Rhys, I will give the process a try. Presume okay if contacts get wet, so long as dry by the time installed in printer. Any comment from you in regards to grey piece of plastic I found glued inside the cartridge? It didn't look permeable. Thanks for replying to me.

If the contacts get wet just dab them dry. Not sure if I'm honest about the grey plastic. If it was in there to start then its meant to be there. What your issue is, the print head is blocked. Nothing you can do by opening up the cartridge really, chances are, you could damage the print head.

Well I tried the boiling water process suggested and unfortunately didnt work for me. Process makes sense...maybe work for someone else.

Another way is by using a steam gun directly in to the printhead of the cartridge using short sharp bursts of steam, best to have it in a vice (tight enough so it grips) in the shed. After a few bursts of steam, leave the cartridge in the vice and get some tissue and dab it on to the printhead a few time and see if there's any ink coming through.if so continue the process until you get a good footprint of black ink on the tissue. Obviously this is if you have a steam gun. Should this not work let me know and I can sell you a new one lol. I'm a sales exec for a company that sells printer cartridges and office goods.

Rhys...the obvious question...what does a steam gun look like and what normally is it used for? I guess I'll have to google it. Decent of you to try to help me before the sales pitch for cartridges :) I am in Toronto Canada...not sure where you are, but if there is a deal to be had on genuine Lexmark 82 black cartridge for Lexmark printer X 5150, then I am all ears! Thanks

I used to be a manager of a Cartridge World store here in South Wales in the UK for a decade and now I'm a sales Executive for Magpie Office Solutions still working with printers. I'm also a printer technician. Sorry about the sales pitch ;) can't fault me for trying. It would cost to much to ship a cartridge over to you in Canada. A steam gun is basically a kettle which boils water then you can squeeze the trigger and it squirts high pressure steam out of it. It might be worth you looking for a new cartridge if my previous tips haven't worked. Chances are if they haven't worked nothing will. Sorry I can't be any more help NormKing.

Ask a Question