Mircosoft Print to PDF Won't Landscape Print

Problem: when printing to Microsoft print to PDF in word 2000, 2010, or any other application if the page is set to landscape it still renders the page in portrait mode.

Environment:
server 2016 DC
fully updated
printing over remote desktop or VMware horizon.

troubleshooting:
I have another server 2016 DC machine where printing in landscape works so I have attempted to check the registry for any differences and found a key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\Microsoft Print to PDF\DsDriver\printOrientationsSupported "landscape portrait" on the working machines but not the problem machines. I added it but the problem persisted.
I have uninstall/reinstalled the Microsoft print to PDF with the following commands.

dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart

I have installed a 3rd party printing tool we use on the working server Tsprint in the hopes it would set keys properly
I have restarted the machine between each of these actions as well.
no luck so far.

Problem: when printing to Microsoft print to PDF in word 2000, 2010, or any other application if the page is set to landscape it still renders the page in portrait mode.

Environment:
server 2016 DC
fully updated
printing over remote desktop or VMware horizon.

troubleshooting:
I have another server 2016 DC machine where printing in landscape works so I have attempted to check the registry for any differences and found a key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\Microsoft Print to PDF\DsDriver\printOrientationsSupported "landscape portrait" on the working machines but not the problem machines. I added it but the problem persisted.
I have uninstall/reinstalled the Microsoft print to PDF with the following commands.

dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Printing-PrintToPDFServices-Features" /NoRestart

I have installed a 3rd party printing tool we use on the working server Tsprint in the hopes it would set keys properly
I have restarted the machine between each of these actions as well.
no luck so far.
Hello Adama, I've already encountered this issue before. I think the source of the problem was a machine malfunction. I did a couple of remedies and none of them seemed to work. I eventually gave up and just went to an online printing service called Print Safari. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have faced this issue before and believe a malfunctioning machine caused it. I tried a few solutions but need help getting them to work. Eventually, I gave up and decided to use an online printing service. This information is helpful.

Update the printer driver.
Printing issues can occur if your printer driver is outdated or corrupted. Update your printer's drivers through your computer settings or visit your printer manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers.
Reset the print spooler.
Print spooler issues may affect printing. Restart the Print Spooler service on your computer by accessing the Services window (search for Services in the Start menu, find the Print Spooler service, and restart it).
Try a different PDF printer:
If the issue persists, try creating a landscape PDF file using another PDF printer software or tool. There are a variety of free and third-party PDF printers available on the Internet.

Ask a Question