Please recommend a cost effective Laser Printer

I am considering doing small run A5 & A4 leaflets for local businesses. Max run size will be 500. But average runs will be 200/300. I am also designing the leaflets.

Can you recommend a good reliable laser printer suitable for this kind of job? Money is tight so I need to buy as keenly as possible. Running costs are paramount. Xerox machines tend to be on the high side I have been warned.

Thanks for any input will be much appreciated.

Hi Papeter It sounds to me that you are looking for a colour machine if you are doing leaflets? If you are including art work this will probably mean that your coverage will be higher than the 5% that all manufactures base their figures on.

Hi Papeter It sounds to me that you are looking for a colour machine if you are doing leaflets? If you are including art work this will probably mean that your coverage will be higher than the 5% that all manufactures base their figures on.

Thanks, yes It's a colour laser I need. I am partial to Canon as I have always had good Canon Ink-Jet printers.

Consumable print life is always based on 5% print coverage – therefore if a manufacturer states its toners last for 2000 Pages, chances are you will be printing on higher coverage of about 20% and will therefore only get about 500 prints from them.

o Very few manufacturers ship their printers with a full set of supplies. Often they only ship with a starter set giving you anywhere from 25 to 100 prints, this means you will often need to immediately buy another full set of supplies to get printing, adding hundreds of pounds to your original purchase price.

Manufacturers do not make their money from the printers they sell, their profits come from the sale of consumables during the lifetime of the printer. In the first year alone a customer can easily spend 5x the value of their printer on supplies. It is the most overlooked aspect of buying a printer, but for people buying their 2nd or 3rd printers it is often the area given the most focus.

Consumables between manufacturers vary massively in cost, it is a good rule of thumb that the cheapest colour laser printers and Inkjet printers are normally the most expensive to run. To calculate the running cost of a printer, you need to look at all the consumables it uses and compare the cost of them to the amount of prints they offer – this will give you the cost per page.

There are other options but it all depends on the volumes you think you will be doing

Consumable print life is always based on 5% print coverage – therefore if a manufacturer states its toners last for 2000 Pages, chances are you will be printing on higher coverage of about 20% and will therefore only get about 500 prints from them.

o Very few manufacturers ship their printers with a full set of supplies. Often they only ship with a starter set giving you anywhere from 25 to 100 prints, this means you will often need to immediately buy another full set of supplies to get printing, adding hundreds of pounds to your original purchase price.

Manufacturers do not make their money from the printers they sell, their profits come from the sale of consumables during the lifetime of the printer. In the first year alone a customer can easily spend 5x the value of their printer on supplies. It is the most overlooked aspect of buying a printer, but for people buying their 2nd or 3rd printers it is often the area given the most focus.

Consumables between manufacturers vary massively in cost, it is a good rule of thumb that the cheapest colour laser printers and Inkjet printers are normally the most expensive to run. To calculate the running cost of a printer, you need to look at all the consumables it uses and compare the cost of them to the amount of prints they offer – this will give you the cost per page.

There are other options but it all depends on the volumes you think you will be doing

Thank you Tech,

I will be doing approx 5 to 6 batches a week of 200 to 500 each batch. So no more than
3000 A5 sheets to start with, and minimum 1000.

Ask a Question