Printing on catalog paper

Hello, I have a project where I'll be trying to do prints with an inkjet printer on paper from old catalogs that I'm sure we've all encountered- Sotheby catalogs for an example but anything like the type of paper used in them- a sort of semigloss paper, a heavier version of the stuff used in most magazines for a slightly better description. I'm using an Epson R1800 inkjet printer and I've done a few prints; unfortunately the ink pools on the surface. Is it possible to print on this type of material and if so, what type of settings could I use to be successful in doing so? I think I need to somehow control the amount of ink that's dropped on the paper and I thought I could control that with the paper settings in the printer software, but I've tried nearly all the settings and I'm still generally getting the same result with ink pooling on the surface of the paper. The only thing that worked to a degree was using the CD print setting, but the colors weren't anything near to what I was looking for. I'd appreciate any help- I was wondering if there was something I could do to treat the paper so it could accept the ink without the pooling. Thanks for any help, and Happy New Year.

There is a possibility that your chosen printer or paper just isn't right for your needs. There's always commercial printing, but of course you need to justify the costs for it. Think hard which alternative would offer the best results for you.

The first thing to check Surface strength, this measures the ability of a paper’s surface to resist ripping when ink is applied. When fibers flake off of the paper a coating blister forms and can produce holes in the ink coverage. This is important for packaging, bags and envelopes but not writing or printing papers.

You won't get the 99% or 100% result unless you go through some commercial printing. You can go through the Printing Watch. It's a Printing Price Comparison Engine, where you might get the deal of your own choice.

Inkjets don't stick to glossy catalog paper and neither do most laser printers. I've used clossy catalog paper to make PCBs for the exact reason. Without a special commercial printer which I imagine is some type of laser, sublimation, or dot matrix printer I'm not sure of a way you can do it yourself. I'm not sure but I honestly imagine a Sublimation Photo Printer would work (the ones I mean use a ribbon type of sublimation processes with a heater built in to transfer onto paper much like a photo id card printer, commercial label printer, little photo printer, etc). The quality of this type of printer is fantastic but the ribbon type cartridges contribute to higher printing costs; commercial printing might be better,

Ask a Question