Recommend printer to replace Canon MP970

I have had the MP970 for the past 3 or so years and it works just fine. I am thinking of replacing it mainly because all the inks are about to run out at the same time and it costs almost $80-90 to replace them all so I was thinking of just getting a new printer. Anyways, I bought this one because it prints great photos but to be honest if I need to print a large amount of photos, I do it at the store. I still want it to be able to print very good quality photos if I I need to print out the occasional few and don't want to run to the store. But one thing I might find really useful on a new printer is a document feeder. I want to start cleaning up my file cabinets and scan documents so I can get rid of the paper and doing it on this old one with just the flatbed is very time consuming to do it one at a time. I have had good luck with Canon's but haven't had an HP in awhile. Does one use less ink and or cheaper ink than the other? Any recommendations? Would like to keep this under $150 or so.

Nice printer, especially for photos as it has six CLI-8 dye cartridges. I'd be very, very inclined to keep it if I were you. Other than A3+ capability, photo print quality can potentially be almost as good as a Pixma Pro 9000-2 (its Red and Green inks are rarely used, oddly).

To me, the CLI-8 generation of Canon printers is by far the most desirable. As yo may know, subsequent generations of non-pro Canon printers have semi or fully opaque carts with significantly smaller ink capacity. (9ml vs 13 ml)

With the small amount of printing you do, are nozzle checks ok? Are you just now going through the original ink carts? Doing weekly nozzle checks?

An all-in-one with an ADF (automated document feeder) is a pretty sophisticated piece of gear. I've got an MX850 with that capability (also CLI-8 based), but I've never used the ADF. BTW, any interest in a trade, including a bunch of high quality German OCP ink refills?

For curiosity, you might check if there are refurbished or NIB (new in box) MP970's on Amazon or eBay. You might be surprised what they go for ... could be 2x the original MSRP. That's the case for the MX850 and iP4500.

Ask a Question