Scanner device has disappeared

Discussion in 'Printer Discussion' started by Jonathan Sachs, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:29 AM.

1. Jonathan Sachs

Jonathan Sachs

I've got a serious problem with my MFC-J6920DW: the computer (Windows 7 enterprise) can no longer operate it.

Today, for no reason I can identify, the computer stopped recognizing the fact that the printer's scanner function is available. I tried removing and re-adding the printer; that had no effect. "Add a device" never found the scanner or (any other device); it displayed a "Searching for devices..." message, and did nothing more.

For some reason I tried scanning from the scanner's control panel, instead of from software. That not only worked; it made the scanner device magically reappear.

But... the printing function doesn't work. I don't know at what point this happened, since I didn't suspect a problem when the scanner device disappeared from Windows but the printer device did not. When I try to print, though, the printer doesn't do anything. Windows's print queue display says the status is "Error - Printing."

Given the odd business with the scanner, I suspect that something odd has happened with the printing function too; it isn't broken any more than the scanner was. But what, and how can I fix it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    Jonathan Sachs, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:29 AM
    1. Advertisements

2. Jonathan Sachs

Jonathan Sachs

Can anyone help with this? I can't work without a printer for long. If I can't solve the problem before the weekend I'm going to have to replace the printer with one that works reliably, whether it's actually broken or not.

Jonathan Sachs, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:28 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question