Scanner device has disappeared

I've got a serious problem with my MFC-J6920DW: the computer (Windows 7 enterprise) can no longer operate it.

Today, for no reason I can identify, the computer stopped recognizing the fact that the printer's scanner function is available. I tried removing and re-adding the printer; that had no effect. "Add a device" never found the scanner or (any other device); it displayed a "Searching for devices..." message, and did nothing more.

For some reason I tried scanning from the scanner's control panel, instead of from software. That not only worked; it made the scanner device magically reappear.

But... the printing function doesn't work. I don't know at what point this happened, since I didn't suspect a problem when the scanner device disappeared from Windows but the printer device did not. When I try to print, though, the printer doesn't do anything. Windows's print queue display says the status is "Error - Printing."

Given the odd business with the scanner, I suspect that something odd has happened with the printing function too; it isn't broken any more than the scanner was. But what, and how can I fix it?

Last edited:
Can anyone help with this? I can't work without a printer for long. If I can't solve the problem before the weekend I'm going to have to replace the printer with one that works reliably, whether it's actually broken or not.

Ask a Question