Should I keep this $30 Canon MP830

I wasn't even looking for a printer but I was at staples and saw a floor model Canon Pixma MP830 for $30 out the door. At the time it was a no-brainer and I bought it to replace our PC-bundled Lexmark Z515.

After getting home I started to look up reviews for it online. There were SO MANY that complained about ink-use and several that claimed their machines simply died. I'd rather not waste my money if I'm going to be spending a lot more on ink than I am currently.

I've priced compatible ink at digitgo.com for ~25 to replace all 5 tanks which is certainly reasonable. I'm not printing many (if any) photographs.

Should I keep it or stick with the old Lexmark......or go with this Refurbished Brother MFC-240C at Staples for the same price ($30).

I really want to save money in the long term....but it would be nice to have scanning and copying which the Lexmark doesn't have.

Hi,

When ever you look at purchasing a printer, for home, the office or production, consumables must be calculated in to the running costs. In my Printer, MFD & Fax Purchase Checklist I wrote about how my old family printer was a bargain to buy but over time cost just as much as a higher quality laser printer that had more features and higher quality.

Weigh up the costs versus costs in the long-run so you know how much you will eventually spend. There is absolutely no use purchasing something that is low to start of with but will blow you hip-pocket out overall.

Check out my site for a free copy of my checklist if this helps.

You should check the ink cartridge costs. The printer may have only cost you 30$, but when it comes to buying new ink cartridges, it may cost another 30$ or more for the ink.

Ask a Question