Surecolor P600: is repair worth it? Advice, please

I have a very spotty history with my Epson Surecolor p600. It has gone bad in one way or another so much that in five and a half years I have had five of them; the first and the third I bought, and the three others have been warranty replacements. I think that three times a print head went bad. Now should I take it in for repair?

I say "I think" because after the first failure, when cleaning failed to restore the nozzles to working order (second printer, half a year past warranty) I took it to an authorized repair shop where two days later their diagnosis was (I'm pretty sure I remember this correctly) a broken print head; repair would have cost so close to replacement that I didn't go back to the shop to retrieve the printer, and bought a new one online. After eight moths that same thing happened again-- but warranty was in place so they said just send it back, and I never had a diagnosis, I just got a replacement. The replacement printer spat out some foam after only two months, two days past the end of my warranty (which dated from the printer I'd actually bought) but they honored it anyway and sent another p600. That was 18 months ago, and now I've again lost pretty much all matte black ink. The difference between this failure and the similar other two is that previously it was more than one color of ink that stopped printing, with nozzle checks showing only a few nozzles working in those colors, and after cleaning, those colors would have random different nozzles working or not working.

I don't use the printer every day, and the repair place said I could have lost the print head from too much time between uses (& I should run nozzle checks regularly to keep them open) but with this last printer I have been pretty scrupulous about not letting the it sit, and a day or two before it went bad, I'd used it and it was working fine.

I feel like the rational thing to do is to ditch the printer and buy a Canon. I don't know if they're any better, but my experience with Epson is dismal. Still somehow I feel a wish to have it looked at (for $75 right there) and repaired. Soon I'd need to buy inks for it, which might be a consideration.

I'd love other people's views on what I should do.

Last edited:

Ask a Question