UltraChrome/PhotoChrome or dye-based ink for printing posters and flyers?

I'm completely new to large format printers, but I have an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 that I'd like to print posters/flyers with.

Should I use UltraChrome (or Lyson PhotoChrome) inks, or should I use dye-based inks? These are non-photographic designs that I want to print on glossy paper. I saw some relatively cheap rolls of 7 mil HP high- and semi-gloss photo paper (is this about right for a wall poster or something like a regular page in a magazine?). But I hear that the original UltraChrome inks don't print well on all types of paper.

Also, if I want to print business cards, what type of ink should I get?

UltraChrome uses pigmenting inks, which are more stable than dye based inks and are great for archival work or printing on glossy paper (as glossy paper reduces print life, pigment inks counter it somewhat). Pigmented inks are are more expensive however, and won't be as bright as dye based.

Basically if your bothered about the life of your prints go with pigment, if your just printing flyers and whatnot, dye is best (and cheaper)

Ask a Question