Washed out pale and off colors with iP4500

I bought some replacement inks from Amazon as they are rated by everyone as being spot on to the canon originals (unlike most). Reading the reviews I decided to buy these inks but am very disappointed. They are the same quality as the others I had off Ebay. When I first started to buy the cheaper inks they printed pretty good but of late any I buy don't seem to look as good. It's as if there is something wrong with the printer itself as the colors are so flat, pale and unsaturated.

I have cleaned the roller, nossels and run a test which shows all printing with no lines etc. I have even updated the driver and still it's bad.

Any suggestions ?

Hello,
If you've done a thorough head clean (it may take more than one clean to clear really clogged nozzles) and on the basis that theres no banding or lines coming out on the printing, and there's not one obvious colour missing it does sound like it may be the ink cartridges themselves... You say you buy from amazon? is it always from the same supplier or different? Individual sellers may purchase their cartridges from different sources resulting in the varying colour saturation.
If you need decent quality from your printing, but dont want the expense of genuine cartridges - you may be better off purchasing either branded compatibles or remanufactured cartridges such as Inkrite?

The inks are from First Call who have won awards. The reviews on Amazon are all very good.

When I spoke to them they said that it could be the chip needs re-setting as it can go out. He told me to unplug the printer from the mains and install the cartridges. Then turn the machine on. This didn't work as my inks are still washed out and have a much different color balance than they should be. I also cleaned the print heads with distilled water.

Further to my earlier post - it really seems like an ink quality issue. Either the inks are poor quality or the cartridges haven't been filled correctly leading to the inks seperating out.
As you've cleaned the print heads with water, you may get a few pages that are washed out but it should clear.
It can't be an issue with the chips - If the chips were at fault you wouldn't be able to print at all! Sounds like they've given you a bit of a fob off - I'm not sure what they mean by the chips can 'go out'??
I would suggest that you ask them to exchange or refund.
Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks. Yes, they refunded but I am not convinced it was their ink. I used a cheap in k from Ebay right after using Canon inks. They were fine. I then used another cheaper ink which started to print with slightly blurred lettering on CDs. I did some research on Amazon and read reviews and one stood out as as good as Canon. The reviews all say that they are excellent (Not so with other substitute brands) which is why I can't understand why they print with no black definition or contrast.

Is there another way of trying to clean my heads. I have some pure alcohol and distilled water ?

Glad you sorted in that they refunded you without trouble.
You could try a dedicated printer head cleaner fluid? Here at Selectafont we offer a bottle of cleaner for £4.60 incl del & VAT, I've copied the link below should you wish to view the product, or if you already have a supplier of cartridges and consumables you're happy using they may offer a similar product.
Print Head Cleaner

I have read reviews on Amazon for this ink cartridge cleaning product and some of the reviews were not too good at all.

Last edited:
thanks for your feedback.
Essentially if you have blocked heads you need a solvent that will dissolve the solidified ink. If you have a method that works, stick to that.
I just wanted to offer a product that could help you with this.
I'm interested to know what negative reviews you found on amazon, since I wouldnt want to recommend a product that isn't any good - you refer to "some reviews not being good at all" - because when I searched on amazon for the JR product I could only find 3 in total, with just the 1 being substantially negative??

I am not saying your product is no good. I can only read what the reviewers say. One gives a 5 star and one gives 1 star. I am still happy to give it a go :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to be negative.

Hello Hubb,
Sorry hadn't seen you're reply.... was just concerned as didn't want to find myself recommending a product that has negative associations, I just wanted to check I had the full picture. You're post wasn't taken negatively I just wanted to ensure I was well read on the product feedback - whether it be the good, the bad, or the ugly!! :D
In the meantime I hope you've been able to resolve (or dissolve!) the problem..

Ask a Question