what the? identical values = different sizes?

ok, i'm totally hopeless when it comes to everything to do with printers, dpi, etc - but i usually manage to get by. but what happened earlier today really stumped me!

using paint.net, i created 2 documents...

1. 10cm (W) x 2cm (H), 91 dpi (910 x 182 pixels)

2. 2cm (W) x 2cm (H), 91 dpi (182 x 182 pixels)

i left the first file white and made the second file black. i copied the 2nd file and pasted it into the 1st. now, i would assume - based on the sizes - that the black square would only take up one fifth of the white rectangle. however, the square was much smaller (you could have fit at least 1 and a half more of the same square underneath)

i went back to the original black square, and experimented with the size. keeping the same dpi, i had to more than double the size (to 5.5cm) in order for it to fit in the white rectangle. so essentially, the black square and white rectangle looked the same height, but one was 2cm and the other was 5.5cm.

huh?!

i don't get how this can happen. can someone explain it to me? i'd like to be able to fit a number of images inside an A4 size image to print out on one page, but because of all this, i can't get it to work.

if anyone can help out a total dummy like me, id be very happy!!! :)

Ask a Question