Best printer?

Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to read this.

I actually had no clue on how much a pain in the ass looking for a new printer actually is lol.

Well can anyone advise which is the best printer for my needs?

I will be using the printer a lot for photos so I would like it to be able to print quality pictures but also I would like to print on printable DVD discs now and again.

Here is the snag for me the ones I find that are with in my price range which is up to about £160 (cheaper would be great) are either not wireless or the Ink costs an arm and a leg.

If anyone can point me to a Printer that is within my price range is also wireless prints on to discs and you can get the ink cheap (non manufacturer)

Your question about "best printer" is rather vague, but you did include more information that some people who ask that question (budget, photo printing, wireless, print CD's). With more specifics, you can "help us help you".

Here are some other questions:

* max print size (letter vs 13x19" vs wider)
* expectations of photo print quality ... decent vs good vs very good vs excellent
* suitability of cartridges for re-filling, as applicable
* quantify of printing ... infrequent vs often vs heavy use

For very good to excellent photo print quality, Epsons and Canons have the best reputation. I'm familiar with Canon inkjets, but mostly ignorant about Epson, HP, and others. My understanding is that HP inkjets used to be pretty good on photo print quality, but that their latest printers are less so. YMMV.

In the USA, Canon printers typically don't have CD printing capability by default, but that is an option. My understanding is that Canon printers in other world markets are more likely to have CD printing trays built-in.

OEM ink is pretty much always going to be exorbitantly priced. Their business model is to practically give away the printers (and paper sometimes), and make a hefty profit margin on the ink. Doing some math, the OEM ink goes for $10,000+ per gallon.

This works out great is you are willing to tackle the learning curve on refilling empty (virgin) OEM cartridges. If you keep you eye out for inkjet paper deals, you can make a high quality letter size photo print (8.5x11") for under a dime, including the amortized cost of the bulk non-OEM ink.

I would be reluctant to count on getting high quality ink from inexpensive / cheap / no-name vendors. The reliability and quality can vary from batch to batch. You can be really asking for print-head clogs. Skin tones can vary so much that you end up doing a lot of trial and error to get decent looking prints.

Ask a Question