"blocky" black lines, upon inspection. Help much appreciated!

I am in possession of a Samsung ML-1915 -- though this problem persists even on a Brother.

Let me frame this: I am an artist and so naturally want my art projects to print with clean, crisp lines. I'm only looking to print black and tone (so just black ink) but I have a problem and I'm not sure of the source.

The printed black-ink lines, etc of the art pieces are made of black squares when observed closely.

It is not pixelated, because the resolution of this particular piece that I'll use for demonstration has 1200 res on it.

I took a look at an online manual, which says that this printer can print at up to 1200-600, and yet...

There are some weird variables: When I shrink the image down to 300 (the digital printers I've decided to go with only accept 300) and save the image as a Tiff/jpeg/pdf, the image prints as I've stated. The only time it prints close to the crispness that I want is when I simply take the 1200 psd (photo shop document) and print it from that.

But that's not what the printers will print from.

Any help you can shed is much appreciated! Or a finger pointed in a direction that might have an answer -- I'll go the distance for this.

Ask a Question