canon inkjet prints with horizontal lines - can I fix it?

I have two backup inkjet printers lying around which I am trying to get to work. One is Canon i560, the other Canon i850. Both have interchangeable printheads/cartridges and are almost identical. My working printer is another Canon i560.

The two backups have exactly the same problem: all colored text/picture has white horizontal lines (the text/images are not broken however). Black prints come out OK. When I combine black and colored text on the same line, The black comes out ok, while the colored has hz lines. To get an idea of what it looks like, I am attaching the results of the printhead alignment tests comparing the good printer and the bad ones (which get identical results):

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7452/printerscomparison.png

Notice for the bad printer that columns B, C, G, H, J, K have hz lines that are not present for the good printer.

By trying the printheads on both the good and bad printers, I have determined that the printheads are not at fault here, so please do not ask me to clean them or switch cartridges. Also, I should mention that printing on 'high quality' does seem to get rid of these lines, but the results are not perfect.

These printers are valuable to me because they use the old Canon BCI-3E color system (very cheap cartridges).

Any experts know if this is fixable and how?
Thanks in advance.

Just read your post. My Canon MP600 is doing the same thing - it used to work so well! They are fairly new cartridges, and I tried cleaning & deep cleaning maintenance. Did you find any help?

Ask a Question