Canon Pixma Pro 100s Injket & Going On Holiday for 2 Weeks

I'm due to go away for 2 weeks at the back end of August and am wondering if there's anything I can do to help prevent my print head from clogging due to not being used for that time. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s inkjet and have been told that up to one week without use it normally fine but two weeks and beyond you're risking a clogged printed. I'd rather not come back from holiday needing to pay £120 for a new head so is there anything I can do with the printer to make it less likely to clog whilst I'm away?

D

Deleted member 14725

I'm due to go away for 2 weeks at the back end of August and am wondering if there's anything I can do to help prevent my print head from clogging due to not being used for that time. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100s inkjet and have been told that up to one week without use it normally fine but two weeks and beyond you're risking a clogged printed. I'd rather not come back from holiday needing to pay £120 for a new head so is there anything I can do with the printer to make it less likely to clog whilst I'm away?
I wouldn't worry too much, I have the PRO-9000 and while I try to print every month, I've forgotten a few times and left it unused for at least 2 months or more. I don't know for sure about this model, but some people let them plugged in and on, so the printer can perform the cleaning cycles they are programmed to perform, and some even use specific software that sends a print every X period of time. I have never used any of those but I read about it and found people talking about this on YT videos.

I have a related question. I always considered leaving the printer on was the way to go as it goes through a maintenance routine periodically. I have a canon 3650 , cheap unlike the print heads! There are various settings for power down . Googling the internet some say the print heads are 'capped' during power down so conflicting advice there. Any thoughts?

D

Deleted member 14725

I have a related question. I always considered leaving the printer on was the way to go as it goes through a maintenance routine periodically. I have a canon 3650 , cheap unlike the print heads! There are various settings for power down . Googling the internet some say the print heads are 'capped' during power down so conflicting advice there. Any thoughts?
The printheads at shutdown / off-mode move to an specific place where a set of one or two caps (depending the printhead) press against them. It's rubber, and it's function is to avoid pressure differences that would allow ink to come out (cry, we call it). This also avoids any dust to come in contact with the heads.

Keeping the printer on for extended periods will produce the same as they are programmed to do it, even if it's still on. You can easily see this when work with a printer totally opened without the case.

Things are not crystal clear as diff models and brands = diff stuff. In the past some people left the printers on to avoid the usual power-on cleaning cycles and save ink, but due to the internal clocks, the some cleaning cycles will still take place. There is no perfect answer for this, as... the more expensive and specialized printers become, the more mainteinance they need and more ink they waste to avoid clogging.

Ask a Question