color on paper not same as color on screen

This is probably an old question, but I couldn't find it. We're seeing shades of difference in the colors on printed copy verses the color on the computer screen. I've been told paper could be a factor, but I was wondering if anyone had a lock-down method for dealing with this. We're using an HP W7500 inkjet and a Windows 7 PC printing from Quark.

If you go to Edit > Color Settings, how is Photoshop Elements currently set? The first thing I would do is try setting it to "No color management" and see if you get better results. If this works for you, you're in luck, because color management gets tricky.

You need to calibrate your printer and your monitor, because color forum one monitor to another monitor is different

Since monitors use additive RGB color while printing uses subtractive CMYK pigments, calibrating your printer can do the trick for your problem.
Steps:
1. Calibrate your monitor and use the correct printer driver for your printer > Find the controls for fine tuning the overall appearance of color from your printer.
2. Calibrate your printer > use a hardware device that can read the output from your printer and make adjustments as necessary

*Color Management Systems include tools for calibrating monitors, scanners, printers, and digital cameras so they all "speak the same color."

It depends on how high your expectations are for color on the monitor matching the print.

Some observations:
* With a decent monitor or better, you probably can't match the dynamic range (DR) and gamut of your monitor. "You can't get there from here".

* If you are using a profiled/calibrated monitor and OEM ink + OEM paper, you can probably get decent consistency between the monitor and the print.

* But if your quality expectations are higher than the above, or you are using non-OEM ink and/or non-OEM paper, then you have entered the realm of color management, which can be complex, long learning curve, and very, very fussy.

Note that it is a separate issue whether the color of the original matches the color on the monitor. That can involve "repro-graphics" and camera profiling, another "dark art".

Ask a Question