Correct Ink for Epson Stylus C84

Hello everyone!
I have a huge question... so I got in my hands an old Epson Stylus C65, bought some refillable cartridges from Aliexpress and some ink. Tried printing on it, but nothing came out (so, the printer moved and was 'printing' but there was no picture on the paper).
So I decided to find another printer since I thought the printing head was faulty, and this time I found an Epson Stylus C84. It was somewhat damaged, but even after fixing the issues it had, it is now showing the exact same behavior from the C65: it takes the paper, the printing head moves side to side, just as if it was printing, but the paper comes out white.

I am thinking there must be something with the ink. I bought a bottle of "T06734/T6644", labeled 'for Epson L8XX, L1XX, L3XX, and L5XX', and I thought that the content on it would be pretty much the same as what goes inside the original Epson cartrides for the Stylus'.

So I guess my question is the following: should the ink I bought work with my C84 printer? If yes, then what might the problem be? If no, then what ink should I buy and what is the difference?

Thank you very much, I have been scrambling my head for months now with this thing....

Cheers!

Edit: the reason why I bought that specific Ink is: 1) It was the only one in store, 2) I figured that the difference what the form factor of the bottle and not the content of the ink (if there is any).

Would highly recommend you get a set of refillable cartridges or a CIS system and use the C, M, Y and Matt black from the Inktec K3 ink set. The inks are ruddy amazing at avoiding clumping and clogging so they'll keep you running for ages.

If you get stuck I might have a CIS system in our bits and bobs storage along with the ARC chips.

Would highly recommend you get a set of refillable cartridges or a CIS system and use the C, M, Y and Matt black from the Inktec K3 ink set. The inks are ruddy amazing at avoiding clumping and clogging so they'll keep you running for ages.

If you get stuck I might have a CIS system in our bits and bobs storage along with the ARC chips.
I have the refillable cartridges. My question is about the ink... can it be the reason I can't print?

I have the refillable cartridges. My question is about the ink... can it be the reason I can't print?
Aaaand I'd like to nominate myself for the #facePalm award as I now see that I skim read your reply and missed the rather pertinent information that I then repeated back at you regarding the refillable carts. *ahem*... Apologies for that.

Sooo... Starting over...

A few things spring to mind.

1. Make sure you have removed the vent plug/tape from the cartridge so that the cartridge can breath as ink is used up. If you don't know which plug is which, check this handy video I did that tackles exactly this topic.

2. Check that the cartridge is primed properly... Hard to know which type you have specifically but as it's an old printer type I'd lay odds it's the really old type that needs to be vacuum filled or at least requires the feed chamber be partially primed so that there's ink ready to feed into the printer, not just air. Again there's a few videos that help with this here:

NB: You can use a standard luer slip syringe in place of any attachment but recommend you notch a V into the end of the syringe so that air/ink can be pushed/pulled out or the valve plate in the cartridge will block the end of the syringe. The V notch allows you to open the valve and still get air/ink in/out.

3. The ink itself can be a problem but as the type you've indicated is dye ink, that's pretty unlikely unless it's completely clogging up with algae growth or other foreign material style gloop.

... and finally...

4. The printhead could simply be clogged silly already and require a lot of attention with cleaning solutions so the big question is whether or not the printer was working prior to your most recent attempts?

Hope that's a "bit" more useful.

Ask a Question