Disposing of Printer

I bought a new printer because the old one was eating up the paper instead of loading it.

If I dispose of it is there any way that someone can access or reprint anything that I printed on it?

I found out I could take it to Best Buy to be recycled.

It was easy too.

I just went in and asked the person at the door how to do it. They put a large green sticker on it and told me to take it to the Geek Squad and that I didn't have to wait on line. A girl was helping someone but when I caught her eye I asked if I could give it to her and she took it from me and I was out in less than a minute.

To reply to your original question ... I would think it would be difficult, if not impossible to access what you printed.

My impression is that all printers have buffers for receiving the data from the desktop/laptop/tablet. From this buffer, their driver figures out what ink to spray from what nozzles. I suppose it is theoretically possible to reconstruct this buffer, perhaps for the last several documents.

If that worries you, I suppose you could send some really, really long documents to your printer of jibberish, or "harmless" document you didn't care about. Or large photos with .tif files. My speculation is this would write over any buffer.

I think you could send the print job, but cancel the job once it got started so as to not waste too much ink and/or paper.

But some high-end, wide format printers are delivered with fair size hard drives. I've seen a Canon printer with 250gb drive built-in. That's a different issue, and I suppose the print data on such a drive might be recoverable.

It would be almost impossible for someone to take that information and reprint it. However in theory it is possible. But i doubt anyone is going to go through the trouble of doing it.

Ask a Question