EPSON 2200 Replacement help

Hello I am a watercolor artist and I have been using an epson 2200 photo printer for 20 years. It has been great, now I find that I can't get any inks anymore.
Question: where can I find ink? (No luck online)
Question: what is an epson replacement that prints as well as this up to 13x19"
ON ENHANCED MATT PAPERS?
Please help.
Thanks Terry

I use an Epson WF-7720 for wide-format, and I love it - I've used colour calibration to get it to a quality level that exceeds most four-colour printers, but even with this and the fact it is a really good four colour printer, it won't match what yours can do.

I'm not sure you will ever find a printer as good as yours is. The Epson Stylus 2200 is just an exceptional printer, and Epson doesn't have the same goals today as they had when that printer was made. One of their major considerations today is that they don't want their consumer printers to compete with their professional ones, so they hamstring their better printers with poor drivers, incredibly expensive inks, or (as with some of their EcoTank printers) with intentional feature limitations like removing borderless printing. I don't think outside an actual wide-format professional printer that you will match what you have in that one.

I would highly recommend going to Inkowl and getting a set of refillable cartridges and ink for your printer. They still carry them. They also have the ink. I use Inkowl inks (through a Canadian supplier) and find, after a little adjustment, that I get better results with them than with original Epson. You can get cheaper inks from China, but I wouldn't suggest the price difference is worth the hassle of sourcing good ink from a reliable supplier.

Wow, its upsetting to find out epson is doing this. The 2200 is fantastic and prints are wonderful. So sir first of all the inkowl stuff will work on the 2200? When I have tried the aftermarket inks my machine has not recognized them and would not work! I have two 2200 printers and I have to find a way to get them inks!

Secondly the WF-7720 whats the story on that? Is it expensive and how about the inks?
Also it must cost a lot just to print 8x10 or 11x14 singles (most of my work is single pieces).
And I live in 2 separate places summer and winter, is it portable.
Sorry for all the questions, I just need your help.
Thanks Terry

It's no trouble. Printers are sort of my hobby horse, so it's no trouble getting me to talk about the topic. Careful about getting me started though...

Ok, first of all, the 2200. I don't have that printer, so I can't of course say with a complete certainty that the Inkowl cartridges will work. I have refillable cartridges from Inkowl (and other sources) for my 7720, and they work great. I also know the type of chip that the 2200 uses, and there is no reason why aftermarket cartridges shouldn't work with it. I can't say why alternate cartridges didn't work for you before, except to say that often early versions automatic reset chips used in aftermarket cartridges don't always work 100%, and that Epson aggressively targets aftermarket cartridges when they do printer firmware updates. I can also tell you the folks at Inkowl have been pretty professional and honest in my experience, so if you write them and ask them what the current status is of their refillable Epson Stylus 2200 cartridges, they will let you know if the chip on them is being recognized by current Epson firmwares. Also, aftermarket refillable cartridges need to be properly primed before their first use, and if that's not done then it can be quite a trick to get them to work right. It's not hard to do, but some cartridge resellers don't tell you this factoid, so if it was refillable cartridges you tried before, this may be one reason you experienced troubles.

Now, the Epson WF-7720. I love this printer, but no, it's not really that portable. It's pretty big, since it is a wide-format (13x19) all-on-one printer. It has a duplexijng auto-document-feeder scanner (plus a large scanning platform), it supports duplex printing, borderless all the way up to 13x19, has two paper trays and a rear feeder and all that adds size and weight. But on the plus side this printer uses the Epson T252 cartridge, for which you can still use refillable versions. This is what I do with mine, so printing is not at all expensive. This is the printer I use the Inkowl inks with. I also sourced Chinese inks for that printer from refillink.ca and those also work pretty well, but caveats about Chinese inks still apply. The other benefit is that this printer is pretty inexpensive, so you may be able to simply get one for each place if the size is daunting. Print quality is good out of the box, and can be made to be quite good with an understanding of the printer driver settings and if you know how to do colour calibrations it can be made to be really good, but I'm afraid it just will never be quite as good as your Stylus 2200.

Ask a Question