Epson BX635FWD 'forgets' all cartridges at once; need to reseat all to start printing

As said in the title: my trustworthy and usually reliable Epson BX635FWD has started a bad habit:
it randomly forgets all its installed cartridges, flashes the error LEDS, needs to be restarted and all four cartridges need to be reseated. Only then it will start working again, for 7-14 days, before repeating this.
I suspected the cartridges and replaced them with brandnew ones (full, 3rd party) - with the same result.
Since ALL four need to be removed and reseated the issue MUST be with the printer and the 'sensor' (contacts, cable, memory?)
For now I hesitate to take the beast apart, afraid to make matters worse and break the printer for good.

Has anyone seen these symptoms, has anyone found a reliable solution?
Shutting the printer off entirely and only activate it when using it may be a work-around. But it is probably causing more trouble to the ink system, as it is reflushed at every new start?
Thanks for any useful hint!

Ask a Question