Epson MFP L6190 - scanner edge alignment

I purchased an Epson L6190 MFP. The primary reason was the large refillable tanks. By and large it works well when it prints and the large refillable tanks are great.

However, I also use the scanner a lot and have found out the scanner misses a few mm on the top and side where the original is placed - pushed - when using the flatbed.

I have never had this issue on a scanner before. Prior to the Epson I had several Cannon printers, which never had this issue. My last Canon MFP the cartridges were no longer available -- they were a stupid price -- so I purchased the Epson, because of the large tanks, not realizing the scanner was inaccurate on small scans. It is only about 2mm I need to worry about and on most documents it's not an issue, however on plastic cards it is , as the edges are often cropped.

What astounds me is Epson knows that it is an issue and says the following:

=======
The Edges of Your Original Are Not Scanned

If you are scanning in Full Auto Mode, or using thumbnail preview in Home Mode or Professional Mode, move the document or photo about 6 mm (0.2 inch) away from the horizontal (b) and vertical (a) edges of the document table to avoid cropping.

If you are scanning using normal preview in Office Mode, Home Mode, or Professional Mode, move the document or photo about 3 mm (0.12 inch) away from the horizontal (b) and vertical (a) edges of the document table to avoid cropping.

Scan Quality Problems
========

I have never had to compensate when scanning by moving the document away from the edges. In other words I just can't just slide a document or a card into the corner and scan and get all scanned and square. Instead I have to fiddle around and guess where the edges are.

So the questions...
Is there any way to adjust a scanner's margins so that it scans correctly and squarely without having to guess the edge?
Is there a work around?
Is there software that is better than Epson's Epson San 2 or Epson ScanSmart?

many thanks for any useful suggestions or assistance.

Ask a Question