Epson R2000 printer stopped dead

ASG

My Epson Photo R2000 recently stopped working suddenly when it ran out of paper. Now the printer goes through its starting up sequence but then stops and the ink out and paper out lights start flashing simultaneously. My initial reaction was that it was a waste ink pad issue and that may still be the most likely cause, but both the light status on the front of the printer and the Status Monitor message appear to suggest otherwise.

The paper and ink out lights flash together, about which the manual states: "The print head is obstructed by paper or other foreign material." (unlike alternate light flashing which is the "parts are at the end of their service life" message). Meanwhile the Status monitor comes up with "Communication error. Check all connections and make sure all devices are on. If the power was turned off during printing, cancel the print job. If the error does not clear, see your printer documentation". However there's nothing in the print queue and I can't see any obstructions to the print head.

Despite the messages could this still be an indication that the waste inkpads are full?

Last edited:
Just to try:

Power on printer -> Disconnect power cord for 2 minutes -> reconnect power cord -> power on printer if not already on.

ASG

Thanks for this.

It worked, after a fashion. If I pick exactly the right moment to pull the plug and then reconnect it, the head will unlock, move to the other end, but then return to its "park" position and relock itself there.

However if I pull the power out again while it is moving I can get the head to stop along its track. However when I reconnect and turn the power back on it returns and locks itself again.

For the moment I've pulled the plug and left it sitting at the midway point - I'm not sure what I should do after this.

Try re-install Printer. Follow this for windows 7 -> 10:
First do un-Install
Control Panel -> Devices & PRINTERS -> Right Click R2000 Icon -> Select "Remove Device"
Re-install printer using Epson Install CD

For future reference, you can confirm if the waste counter is the actual issue by downloading a copy of the WICReset utility and using the "Read waste ink counter" to get a reading of the main and platen pad counters.

It doesn't sound like that's the issue though, based on the symptoms.

Ask a Question