Epson Workforce 1100; "prints" but no ink appears

My Epson Workforce 1100 printer prints in color, but no blank ink black. The printer has been sitting for 4 yrs, and with some fiddling it did print one file very nicely yesterday with the old black ink cartridges. Then it quit because of, perhaps among other things, the cyan ink cartridge was MT. I just installed ALL new cartridges and no longer have an orange "ink problem" (I think) light on. I does print a blue, a yellow, a green and a red line on one of my files, but no black. I have run all the various "cleaning" options. Should I get in there somewhere with some 99% alcohol and clean? Where, exactly? Something else? Black ink is not working.....Thanks. john

Last edited:
Hi

Try and follow these steps.
  • Make sure the product is placed on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond the base in all directions. The product won't operate properly if it's tilted or at an angle.
  • If the ink cartridges are old or low on ink, you may need to replace them.
  • Make sure the yellow tape was removed from the ink cartridge(s) installed in your product.
  • Make sure you're using paper that meets the product's specifications.
    Note: Transparencies and vellum paper are not supported.
  • Print a nozzle check pattern to see if any of the nozzles are clogged. Clean the print head, if necessary.
  • Make sure the paper size, orientation, and layout settings in your printer software are correct.
  • Make sure your document does not contain blank pages. If your printer software has a Preview option, you can check for blank pages before you print and remove them, if necessary.
  • If you're printing from Windows or a Mac, you can select Skip Blank Page in your printer software. To select the setting, follow the steps below for your operating system.
I hope they assist

Thanks. I've done all that, and have watched a vid on youtube on how to clean them w/ a syringe and cleaner. It is only the black cartridges that are clogged. Overnight I soaked them w/ a tube full of alcohol about 1 1/2" high and nothing happened. I will get a tighter hose and syringe today and try to force some alcohol through the system. Cheers. j

Remove the cartridge and carefully touch it (nozzle/pad) to a wet non-fibrous cloth, if no ink shows then cartridge is clogged. If you aren't sure where the nozzle is look in manual.

Remove the cartridge and carefully touch it (nozzle/pad) to a wet non-fibrous cloth, if no ink shows then cartridge is clogged. If you aren't sure where the nozzle is look in manual.
Thanks, Shadow. Right now I have 1" tubes standing up over ink orifices, filled w/ alcohol, and am hoping to slowly dissolve the plug. I need to get to town to get smaller tubing to try the hypodermic needle "fix", as my tubing leaks too much.

Ask a Question