Epson WP-4020 Repair attempt gone bad

If anyone sees this and can help, PLEASE let me know! I really liked this printer: duplexer, wired ethernet, full page photo prints, refillable ink wells, holds an entire ream of paper.
One of the high pressure ink bladders (black) burst and was leaking everywhere. I fixed that successfully. But after reassembly, something is very wrong with the feed mechanism or paper sensors. And it was NOT doing any of this before disassembly, just printing splotchy ink everywhere. I created a video to show you what it's doing. Please, if you have any ideas before I chuck it and and invest another $400 into a printer, I'd really like to try and fix it if possible.

Regards the printhead slamming around and grinding, that's often caused by the sensor on the rear of the printhead and/or the thin plastic timing strip being soiled.

As to the paper feed issue, I think you're most likely right when you say there's a sensor that's gunked with the ink that flew everywhere. No idea where it might be but that's what I'd be looking for. Also possible the sensor is not reading the paper correctly because of the ambient light in the room. It's a wild assed guess and likely a stupid suggestion but maybe turn off the lights or cover the printer so the sensor is reading the normal dark it gets when it's all assembled correctly.

Regards the printhead slamming around and grinding, that's often caused by the sensor on the rear of the printhead and/or the thin plastic timing strip being soiled.

As to the paper feed issue, I think you're most likely right when you say there's a sensor that's gunked with the ink that flew everywhere. No idea where it might be but that's what I'd be looking for. Also possible the sensor is not reading the paper correctly because of the ambient light in the room. It's a wild assed guess and likely a stupid suggestion but maybe turn off the lights or cover the printer so the sensor is reading the normal dark it gets when it's all assembled correctly.
Hey, THANK YOU for replying! I just saw this, and haven't investigated more yet. Where is the thin plastic timing strip that you mentioned?

Also, on the light/dark issue, It does it with it assembled as well, so I don't think that it's a light issue. I took it apart and ran it open so I could see what it was doing. It does the exact same thing assembled. Wish I knew where to look for the sensors.

Ask a Question